Brunei and Muara Travel Answers

change location
Edy8's Profile Photo

Tips on outbound trips to Kuching etc

by Edy8 Online Now Jul 24, 2005 at 5:30 AM

Hi, fellow travellers,

My partner and I are planning for about three days side trip to the nearby Miri caves, Kuching etc. We need any advice you can give. Thank you in advance.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • RE: Tips on outbound trips to Kuching etc

by mulu Online Now Jul 24, 2005 at 5:28 PM

google the word sarawak and a whole world of information will open for you

Have fun

Jack

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Edy8's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Tips on outbound trips to Kuching etc

by Edy8 Online Now Jul 24, 2005 at 8:50 PM

Thanks Jack for the suggestion. Indeed a whole list of info comes out from google, but I think it will take me some time to digest and find the info I want. Meanwhile, if you or other travellers who could give me some tips, I will be very grateful.

Recently I visited China and went for a side trip to Hong Kong. Without much preparation, I was surprised that I had to fill out Immigration forms to and fro. I wonder if travelling into Malaysia from Brunei is the same. Are there cross country tours originating from Brunei? Or tourist buses for a free and easy trip? Hope someone can help me with the answers. Thanks.

• SangAji's Profile Photo

by SangAji Online Now Jul 25, 2005 at 2:29 AM

Hi,
    From Brunei, side trips to Miri niah caves is doable by day trip, however Mulu caves need 2d/1n at least. Tour companies in bsb can arrange trips by road to miri, and for mulu either by air and/or long boats. it is rainy season now, so be extra careful with fast flowing rivers and slippery tracks etc.
    Brunei to kuching by road is about 12 hrs, unless you fly! or plan to return to Singapore via kuching.
    whilst in Brunei and with 3 days to spare, suggest you do side trips to labuan by ferry from serasa, see my homepage. and trip to limbang by boat (25 mins)or by road that way you cover more. It is also durian season, so plenty to choose from!
    Once on the road to limbang, you can go all the way to kota kinabalu! thru temburong, lawas, sindumin, merapok, sipitang, papar, and plenty more durians along the way! road trip takes abou 8 to 12 hours depending on immigration clearances. cheers.

• Edy8's Profile Photo

RE: Tips on outbound trips to Kuching etc

by Edy8 Online Now Jul 25, 2005 at 8:30 AM

Hi, Mat Jinin,

Thanks for your useful tips. I am sure I will be able to get more at your home page. But certainly with the info in this reply we should be decide to visit Miri Niah caves and perhaps Mulu caves. We will visit Kuching another time. BTW, we plan to go there in October. So I hope the rainy season would be over by then but the durian season will remain!!! Do you think we can get durians then?

by SangAji Online Now Jul 25, 2005 at 7:37 PM

last year durian season stretched from june to december, with durians coming from different parts of borneo. some of borneo durians are not available in singapore or peninsula malaysia, and taste and colour varies from red to yellow to milky etc. october will be fasting month this year, so plenty of durians and local dishes will appear at gadong market near to centrepoint.
    kuching is nearer from your end, fly via jb!

• Edy8's Profile Photo

RE: Tips on outbound trips to Kuching etc

by Edy8 Online Now Jul 26, 2005 at 3:05 AM

Yeah, we love that, durians of different grades and colours! Actually we are planning to fly to New Zealand via Air Brunei and instead of waiting at the airport for the connecting flight, we thought we would drop by Brunei/Miri caves or other interesting places nearby before flying back to Singapore. Friends told me that Kuching is best visited in June during the harvest season. Perhaps, next year then! Now I am planning for the trip to NZ possibly the North Island as we have not been there.

by SangAji Online Now Jul 26, 2005 at 10:10 PM

wish you a safe journey to nz, and when you stopover in brunei, try also kari udang galah, a large river prawn. durian otak udang galah is my favourite, unfortunately they are rare and gets snapped up quickly in the markets. cheers.

• Edy8's Profile Photo

by Edy8 Online Now Jul 27, 2005 at 4:09 AM

Thank you very much. Kari udang galah? Durian otak udang? Frankly I have not tried them and definitely will, on your recommendation. Would you suggest a good place for these dishes or are they available only in the markets?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Brunei and Muara Travel Answer Locations