Brugge Travel Answers

change location
rlg2706's Profile Photo

Overnight stay in Brugge

by rlg2706 Online Now Feb 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I am travelling to Belgium to stay with friends in the west of the country in the summer. I am considering having an overnight stay in Brugge on the way there, partly to break the journey and also because it is a place that I have always wanted to visit. I will have my 3 children with me aged 14, 11 and 9 and wonder what Brugge has to interest them. I am very easily pleased but my children less so and I do not want cries of "I'm bored" throughout our time there! If Brugge is not a place for kids of that age, I may be better to carry on to our destination. Any advice greatly appreciated.....

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

Re: Overnight stay in Brugge

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM

You could take them on a canal tour through Brugges. I would think that if you prime the children beforehand, they will find things of interest. A little research goes a long way and doing it together with increase interest.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 3, 2012 at 11:16 AM

At the very least, a canal tour should fun...you'll have to check to see what the schedules are now (it's been a few years since I was there).

Otherwise, the town is eminently walkable...throw them out of the hotel room and tell them to take a hike on their own...they might actually find something that interests them ;-)

Bill

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 3, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I'm not sure Brugge has anything specific to interest children of those ages. I didn't come across anything, but I wasn't looking.

It does have green spaces for running around and boat trips on the canals and lots of places to buy chocolate and chips and ice-cream and suchlike (and beer for you, of course)...

But look....you are staying for just *one* night. Surely your children can be expected to tolerate one night somewhere they might consider a bit 'boring'? Surely you can expect them to not whinge for just a one-night stay, especially given that you are paying for the trip..and can make that expectation very plain to them? I certainly would...

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Online Now Feb 3, 2012 at 11:51 AM

The canal trip would surely be of interest to young kids, they can climb up to the top of the Belfort, I think there's both a chocolate and a frite museum, there are windmills you can visit

brugge.be/internet/en/toeris...

And the food options would surely appeal to kids, chocolates, waffels, frites (I guess that would be chips to you)

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 4:31 AM

I knew it..... it just takes the old brain a while to click into gear, way down here in the tropics......there is a chocolate museum (story), a lamp museum and a frite (chips/French fries) museum.....

http://www.choco-story.be/

Now, surely to goodness, with the canal trip and one or two of these, your children can be entertained. After all, it is just for one night and they can surely indulge their parent's wish to visit a place that they have always wanted to go! They will have the rest of the hols to do as THEY want.

• rlg2706's Profile Photo

by rlg2706 Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Thank you for all of the information. When I mentioned the words chocolate and chips they were instantly interested and 2 out of 3 also keen on the idea of a canal trip. With 3 children, there is always one who doesn't want to go with the flow! Their last 3 holidays have been to Disneyworld, Florida so they have become used to being in a 24/7 kids paradise. Definately time for Mum and Dad to do something for themselves for a change so out trip to Brugge is definately on :o)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Good. I am very pleased to hear it...not least because it's an important thing for children to learn.

And, to be honest, I think they'll find Brugge interesting enough for a short stay.

I wouldn't advise allowing them to wander off alone though. Not that Brugge is dangerous but more I wouldn't advise that in a similarly-sized UK town at their ages (and imo it's not fair on the 14-year-old to take full responsibility for the younger ones in that situation).

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Feb 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM

canal rides,good chocolates, great history in architecture, and museums. I had 3 kids and came with them frm 6 mos old, they really had a great education on their trips to Europe,and now live in France.
    They will enjoy it too
    cheers

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo

by RoscoeGregg Online Now Feb 5, 2012 at 7:20 AM

I love travel with kids. I have found that activity in the outdoors is a great way to keep them engaged. My grandmama always said keep 'em moving and keep 'em well fed. Fortunately you are in a place where it is easy to do both.

The canal ride is a good idea. If you are active folks I say rent some bikes and ride the bike trail that runs around the town along the canal. I have done this and it was a ton of fun. This is a very bike friendly town. Take some lovely Belgian bread, fruit and cheese and make a picnic of it.

This is a town with a lot of things to look at so a just a walk with breaks to eat and rest might do the trick. In a melt down apply a waffle or some of the WORLDS BEST CHOCOLATE.

This is a very fun city. Have a great time.

Randy

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines