Brugge Travel Answers

change location

1 day in Bruges-am I trying to do too much?

by RLMVirginia Online Now Mar 26, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Hi,
We-and our 10 year old- will be coming from Brussels to Bruges on Easter Monday. I have read many great reports about a guided bike tour in the morning. Do you think I will have enough time in one day to do the bike tour in the morning, and then climb the belfry, take a boat tour and see the Holy Blood and Madonna sculpture in the afternoon? Or am I trying to do too much (which I am famous for?) :) Also thinking about the crowds on Easter Monday-if it would be better to do our own thing in the morning, and maybe rent bikes for the afternoon. We are active and like to see/do things that are unique to a particular place. Not too interested in the art museums for example.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: 1 day in Bruges-am I trying to do too much?

by gwened Online Now Mar 27, 2012 at 2:31 AM

yes there will be crowds especially to see the Holy Blood basilica and the belfry, but its worth it, I think.

good idea you have do the sights in the early morning get a jump start and then in the afternoon do your bike ride.

HOpe it helps your planning

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • planxty's Profile Photo

Re: 1 day in Bruges-am I trying to do too much?

by planxty Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 12:13 AM

This may well be one of the oddest forum replies I will ever post on VT. It is many years since I was in Brugge and my knowledge is limited. However, I am writing this in a bar in the Philippines and have been sitting having a beer with a guy from Brugge, would you believe? How is that for serendipity? I showed him your queston and this reponse therefore is totally credited to him and not me.

He suggests that, as you think, Easter Monday will be very busy. He tells me that you do not need to go on a guided tour which ties youi to a certain route but just get a map, which are apparently widely available, and hire bikes for the day so you can actually see what you want to see and have the bike experience at the same time.

Dependent on how far your ten year old can ride, he tells me there is a delightful ride of about 5km. to a lovely town called Damme which he says will be less crowded and give you the "local feel" you are looking for. If the youngster is not up to that, perhaps you can get a bike with a kiddie seat or even one of those trailer things popular in the Low Countries. Obviously, using this option would probably preclude the boat tour timewise which he says will be very busy that day.

I hope this assists, it is certainly insider information albeit not mine.

fergy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines