Broome Travel Answers

change location

Stingers on Cable Beach

by frederikranke Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 10:55 AM

Are there problems with stingers at Cable Beach in say March to June? What are the average sea temp. from March to June?

Kind regards
Frederik

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Stingers on Cable Beach

by Kakapo2 Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 12:16 PM

Stinger season normally is from November to May, so you could have problems during the entire time you are there.

Do not know the exact sea temperature during those months - but I would not swim in the sea during those months, not even in those stinger suits...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • 1+1's Profile Photo

by 1+1 Online Now Oct 19, 2008 at 6:34 PM

Stingers can be around through that period, but there are warning signs and information is available locally.

Check this site for current sea surface temps around Australia:

www.cmar.csiro.au/remotesensing/web_point/

Broome is latitude 17.95 degrees and longitude 122.4 degrees. Its currently around 28.8C off the coast. Cyclones bring up cooler water so it will vary, but March could be warmer than current figures and any decline later is usually slow. In any case, it'll be a bit warmer than where you live.

• Purpleshade's Profile Photo

by Purpleshade Online Now Oct 24, 2008 at 8:28 PM

I was in Broome during May a couple of years ago.

It was HOT and HUMID all the time(ie 36-38c and 80% humidity), the days were hot, the nights were hot, the water was very warm.
    I believe this was a bit hotter than usual for May.

In March it is likely to be hot and humid all the time.

• Re: Stingers on Cable Beach

by drmalesic Online Now Nov 27, 2008 at 6:00 AM

Hi Frederick, Stingers are always around in Broome, but they are less of them during the dry season (April - October). At cable beach there is a notice board with information on how to deal with stings and viniger and notice of the date last sting occurred, I hope this helps. I also run a Kimberley info. blog that might be useful if your traveling in the region. kimberley-adventure-tours.co...
    Happy travel's

• Re: Stingers on Cable Beach

by skotup Online Now Apr 14, 2009 at 6:52 AM

lots of people swim there, ive been swimming there no worries. water temp? dont expect to be able to cool down in the water. Its the temperature of stepping into a warm shower just before you decide to turn the cold tap down just a smig to make it hot.

• Purpleshade's Profile Photo

by Purpleshade Online Now Apr 14, 2009 at 7:42 AM

It might help a little to put vinegar on stings, but they can be extremely painful for a long time if you get a bad one, especially if you have sensitive skin.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines