Broome Travel Answers

change location
aYankinSyd's Profile Photo

Broome Trip

by aYankinSyd Online Now May 29, 2008 at 3:26 AM

Can anybody advise about the mysterious Broome? I've always wanted to go, as it seems like a pretty off-the-beaten-track destination... What's the highlight to see/do?

Flights are always outrageously expensive...when is a good time of the year to get a good price?

Many thanks in advance; Mike

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • swissfondue's Profile Photo

Re: Broome Trip

by swissfondue Online Now May 29, 2008 at 5:50 AM

I've always wanted to go too!!!

It is out of the way, 2,200kms from Perth, but thousands of people trek there mainly by plane or road each year. Broome is known as the gateway to the world renowned wilderness Kimberley area but aside from its great natural beauty many people just go there primarily for its tropical climate which makes Broome an appealing winter destination.

The best and also most popular time to visit is in the dry season from May to October. People I know who have been there, say Broome is the perfect place to unwind with Cable Beach stretching for over 20kms. The camel rides seem like fun and there are lots of fishing charters available. The Indian ocean is very pleasant for swimming and Broome itself is a thriving town with good restaurants and nightlife. If you want to get out into the pristine wilderness there are 4WD tours of 1 to 4 day duration (with camping each night).

It is known as an expensive destination because of its location. Because of its popularity during the Australian winter which coincides with the nicest weather prices are very inflated for the three months between July/Aug/Sept.

Apparently accommodation during this time is booked out months in advance, so I will need to do some forward planning myself.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • 2Cities1Love's Profile Photo

by 2Cities1Love Online Now May 29, 2008 at 7:22 AM

I havent been either (air fares are definately outrageous). But everyone I speak to says it's very over-rated. High in cost and apart from Cable Beach not much else there. Unless you plan a bigger trip into the Kimberley region, visiting places like the Bungle Bungles, Lake Argyle and the Kimberley Coast further north is supposed to be awesome.

A friend recently returned from a short trip covered in mosquito bites and said it's not on her list of places to re-visit. Alcohol bans in nearby areas has also made Broome a dangerous place after dark.

Cheers
    Col

• swissfondue's Profile Photo

by swissfondue Online Now May 29, 2008 at 3:40 PM

Thanks Col for the "heads up" on the mosquitos. That changes my opinion completely.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now May 29, 2008 at 4:12 PM

Hi Mike

Broome is a place to laze in the sun. More importantly it is a central point to use to tour the Kimberley, one of the best kept secrets of Australia.

Check it out on www.visitwa.com.au

The ideal trip would include a few days onboard a boat along the gorges, see the waterfalls, then a 4 wheel drive along the Gibb River road etc etc.

Good Luck,
    Mike

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now May 29, 2008 at 4:20 PM

kimberleydiscoverycruises.co...

www.allterrainsafaris.com.au

www.pinnacletours.com.au

This should give you a good idea of what it is all about.

Mike

• suzyq40's Profile Photo

by suzyq40 Online Now May 29, 2008 at 8:55 PM

I have been and the highlight would have been the camel ride along the beach at sunset.

I was there in January, and it was perfect weather.

It really is a beautiful place

• 1+1's Profile Photo

by 1+1 Online Now May 30, 2008 at 6:35 PM

It's all a matter of what you're looking for. I tend to by-pass Broome these days and stay in Derby. Broome is very touristy now. When I first went many years back it had character, but this has been paved over with concrete, glass and plastic. It's mostly a haven for backpackers who want to see a place packed with backpackers so they can party with backpackers. Derby is closer to the Kimberley and a better base for visiting it. Climatically Broome is great, clear sunny skies during the dry season, but wet season it can be anything from humid clear sunny skies to cyclones.

• albaaust's Profile Photo

by albaaust Online Now May 31, 2008 at 4:47 AM

Hi I was there in April and plan to go up again in July. While it is true that it is relatively expensive - it really depends on what you are used to spending. What are you interested in doing? What is your budget? I managed to get a "cheap" return flight from Perth to Broome and I notice that there are deals which offer a package flight/hotel deal on Flight centre.

What I found from a Western Australian viewpoint ( albeit) a Perth view is that it is a tropical paradise so if you are interested in the beach atmosphere it is the place to be. There are plenty of backpacker and cheap accommodation but also more luxurious if you want.

As others have said it is a starting point for organising flights to parts of the northern Kimberley area. This is what I plan to do in July.

The other aspect you might be interested in is that there is plenty of part time and other short term work available. It was definitely a young person's place to be!! I have put some tips up about Broome (and Derby) if you want to see the things I did (which was budget and expensive!!)

• Purpleshade's Profile Photo

by Purpleshade Online Now Jul 25, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I went to Broome a few years ago, and thought it was indeed a tropical paradise.
    My favourite bits are here on my pages
    "My trip to Broome" - Broome by Purpleshade
    The only thin I didn't like was the heat and humidity, would only go again in June or July

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines