Bridgetown Travel Answers

change location
cottonwood's Profile Photo

getting to the Cruise port

by cottonwood Online Now Apr 14, 2007 at 3:31 PM

I'm sure I'll figure this out when I get there being that I'm arriving the day before I get on the ship, but just to satisfy my brain, it looks like the cruise port is at the north end of bridgetown. How easy is it to get to it from the south end of town? I'm getting on a cruise ship on a sunday, do I need to know anything about the traffic, taxi's, etc. for a typical Sunday?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Craigellachie's Profile Photo

Re: getting to the Cruise port

by Craigellachie Online Now Apr 15, 2007 at 4:09 AM

Assuming ththat by south end of town you mean still in town and not the suburbs - well if it wasn't for your luggage it might even have been walking distance. It'll be an easy taxi tourney which you can sort out when you get to your hotel. Do prebook the taxi the night before to be on the safe side as there may be fewer working on a Sunday (that would certainly be the case on St. Vincent, which I know better than Barbados).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Apr 16, 2007 at 10:40 AM

We sailed from Barbados last year and stayed on the far east side of the island at Crane Beach two nigths prior. Traffic in and through downtown Bridgetown is heavy. It might be a little better on Sunday. I think we drove it on a Wednesday mid-morning. Even then it only took us about 45 minutes from the time we left the hotel to the cruise port. Good thing is you have hours of check in time at the cruise port so it's not like you are trying to make a flight.

There are plenty of shops and places to eat if you get there to early and can't get on board. They have a holding area for your suitcases so you don't have to lug them around the terminal.

• Sunniebgi's Profile Photo

by Sunniebgi Online Now Apr 18, 2007 at 1:50 AM

I would suggest that you ask the hotel to arrange transport for you from the hotel to the port. There will be taxi's running, but you may want to make sure you have one as a guarantee rather than just relying on one showing up.. Sundays are not too bad through town so you should have a problem getting to the port.. from the South Coast, I would say no more then a 20min ride.. if that..

• Re: getting to the Cruise port

by bajangirl Online Now Jul 4, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Sunday traffic is easy especially in that area. If you are boarding early it would be prudent to book your taxi the night before, but you can query that when you check-in on arrival at your hotel - they are usually pretty good at knowing what is best for that sort of thing.

• cottonwood's Profile Photo

by cottonwood Online Now Aug 10, 2007 at 6:25 PM

another curiouse question about the local taxi's, do they take american currency or do they like being payed in the barbados dollar? I'm staying at the Allamanda Beach Hotel the night before I board the cruise ship there in Bridgetown. Just wondering.

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Aug 11, 2007 at 9:43 AM

They take US and the conversation rate is fixed at just about 2 to 1, so it is really easy to figure out. That is one USD = two barbados actually I think it is like1.98, but close enough.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Bridgetown