Bretagne Travel Answers

change location
PDXdepartures's Profile Photo

Destination recommendations fror Brittany

by PDXdepartures Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM

My wife & I are traveling in Brittany in late May. Starting in Rennes (after train from Paris), driving west for a week, ending in Nantes, then taking the train to Paris to spend several days there. Planning to have a few days in Renne, then on to St.-Malo, Dinan with an open-ended driving itinerary through towns like Lamballe, Quingamp, Abbaye de Beauport, Paimpol, Treguier, Cairn, St-Pol-de-Lean, Roscoff, Quimper, Auray, Carnac & Vannes. Looking for Breton culture and cuisine. Any recommendations to strike off this list of list or add to it? Any places to merit special attention?

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Re: Destination recommendations fror Brittany

by gwened Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM

well I live in auray and work in vannes so i will be biased.

Rennes is the entry point to brittany from paris. It has a nice city center that from there you can go north to st malo, dinard, dinan, st pol de leon, roscoff, etc, and from Auray you can go to Carnac and the côte sauvage de Quiberon, Quimper, Quimperlé, Etel, Pont Aven Concarneau, many inland nice lovely city center and rochefort en terre and la roche bernard, and more monolith stones in locmariaquer, and then you have the islands that will be available by boat from Auray, Quiberon, Lorient, etc such as belle île,etc.

I suggest to take a look at destinations above for all these towns, see the pages such as mine and others,and determine the things you want to do and see, then you can come to the forum for an update if needed.

hope it helps your planning

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM

You seem to have forgotten to mention Mont St Michel, which would be a shame to miss if you are in our area. From MSM to St Malo it'll only take 40 mins afterwards. I wouldn't bother with Lamballe, nothing much there. While you are in Paimpol, go out to Brehat island on a short ferry ride, well worth it. The cathedral and cloister in Treguier are "mustn't miss".Carentec near Roscoff is worth an hour of your time. Heading down the coast from Concarneau don't miss Pont-Aven also. There's certainly plenty enough in Brittany to see and help you enjoy yourself.

1 member found this helpful

• Sinjoor's Profile Photo

by Sinjoor Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM

hello,
    unlike the previous posters I not a native of this beautiful piece of France, nevertheless I have had a very nice time there with lots of interesting experiences. I stayed in Pleubian at the time, near to Treguier at the Cote de Granit Rose. My family and I went to visit such places as Ile de Bréhat, and Trégastel,from where you can take a boat trip to the Reserve Natural des sept Iles, a bird watcher's paradise with thousands of seabirds 14 kms off shore. There's also the "Village Gaulois" in the town of Pleumeur-Bodou, about ten miles south of Trégastel. This and more information can be found on my Brittany page (members.virtualtourist.com/m... but just to be safe you might want to double check any information with that of other members because the page dates back to 2003. In any case, have fun and enjoy this wonderful part of the world.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 4:11 PM

If you're in the area, Quimper is worth a visit. The church is unique and the Beaux Arts is very interesting and somewhat different. The town itself is very pretty. You can type Quimper into the VT Search Window above to see what's been written about it or check the following web sites.
    http://www.quimper-tourisme.com/
    http://www.musee-beauxarts.quimper.fr/

Fougeres is a nice town with a beautiful fortified castle and great views. Again, type it into the Search Window to see VT Travel Pages and check the town web site at brittanytourism.com/discover...

I can only echo Paul's sentiment that it would be a shame to miss Mont St. Michel when you are so close. It is an absolute must-see in France. http://www.abbaye-montsaintmichel.com/

Here is the Brittany Tourism web site which we've used and found helpful and you may want to check VT member gwened's Travel Pages because he lives in Brittany and has written extensively.
    http://www.brittanytourism.com/

Here's the link to gwened's Home Page where you can check his Travel Pages. Easier is to simply click on his name where you see it and that will take you there.
    "Unesco World Heritage area" - gwened's Profile

Enjoy Brittany.

1 member found this helpful

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I will add my vote for Mont St Michel. It is truly amazing and for me one of the true highlights of all my European travels. There will be some people who will warn you against it because of the crowds but take no notice of them. The crowds are there because there is something spectacular to see and there is enough room for all of you to see it.

• Re: Destination recommendations fror Brittany

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Yes, certainly Mont St Michel...just a note to that long list...Look out for announcements for pardons and fest noz (look for posters) - they will be announced and maybe some of the VT people here can advise you - they are the heart and soul of Breton culture - if you are lucky, you can catch one (I was in Brittany once in May and there were several pardons, including one of the horses...) and if you are really lucky, both - There will be traditional and trad-based music concerts too - The standing stones in Carnac are famous, but there is also a wonderful walk in the next town (I stayed there but I have forgotten the name for now) where you go through the woods and there are all these neolithic stone sites, incredible!!

• Re: Destination recommendations fror Brittany

by micolett Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I would recommend taking time off the driving, for some hikes on the best parts of coastal paths, like Perros-Guirec to Ploumanach, the Cap-Frehel, Pointe de la Torche areas, along the estuaries of Pont-Aven (another interesting, art-related town) and Trégor...
    Brehat Island is beautiful in springtime.
    Near Pont-Aven is oysters lovers' haven in Belon, as in Cancale on the north coast.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 12:08 AM

A wonderful B&B at Cap Fréhel in the middle of 'nowhere': "A lovely overnight stay" - Plévenon by ATLC

• PDXdepartures's Profile Photo

by PDXdepartures Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Thanks for your recommendation on Quimper & Fougeres. Also on not missing Mont St. Michel and checking gwened's travel pages.

by PDXdepartures Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Thanks for adding to our list of possible destinations. Many options to consider for the short time that we are visiting.

by PDXdepartures Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Thanks for the recommendation for Relais du Cap Fréhel. Understand from your posting that it might take some effort to find but is well worth searching out.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM

PDXdepartures wrote:
    Thanks for the recommendation for Relais du Cap Fréhel. Understand from your posting that it might take some effort to find but is well worth searching out.

Well, the B&B has a good website these days so it shouldn't be too difficult. I remember driving up there, thinking we were in the middle of nowhere but there it was... very memorable, that's why I recommend it.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:45 AM

You will love Brittany lol!!!
    even thus MSM is great, it is not in Brittany ::)
    Manche dept 50, Basse Normandie.

ps of course they are some old Bretons who claim it lol!!!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:48 AM

gwened wrote:
    You will love Brittany lol!!! even thus MSM is great, it is not in Brittany ::) Manche dept 50, Basse Normandie.

ps of course they are some old Bretons who claim it lol!!!

pss ;of course if in the nearby area, its good to go and visit MSM anyway....

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Bretagne Travel Answer Locations