Breckenridge Travel Answers

change location

how late is too late?

by 12frogs Online Now Jan 5, 2009 at 4:58 PM

The latest I have been skiing in Colorado is mid to late March. This year I am considering mid April. Breckenridge closes April 19, so I am wondering if conditions get pretty slushy by then?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Callavetta's Profile Photo

Re: how late is too late?

by Callavetta Online Now Jan 5, 2009 at 5:39 PM

In my experience, the snow is usually ok. The resorts often close when there is still plenty of snow but they have a hard time keeping enough staff to keep the whole mountain open. There is lots of fresh snow through much of April.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GinBuck's Profile Photo

by GinBuck Online Now Jan 5, 2009 at 6:00 PM

I usually only do spring skiing. Yeah, the base chair area can get mushy mid day, but there is always great snow higher up. I would go in a heartbeat. The other reply is right on. Lack of snow doesn't close the hills, lack of people does.

• gfinesilver's Profile Photo

by gfinesilver Online Now Jan 26, 2009 at 12:40 PM

it all depends on the winter, it's impossible to say. some mountains stayed open until june or later last year.

• jcbreck's Profile Photo

by jcbreck Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM

It's never too late! Some of the best snow (e.g. deep powder) I've skied has been the last week of the season. Yes, the base area could be a bit slushy if it's warm & sunny, but you'll want to be skiing the upper mountain at that point in the day anyway. Ride the Imperial Express and T-Bar for some great corn snow. BTW - Breckenridge is currently scheduled to close on 4/14/2013 this season.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines