Brazil Travel Answers

change location

Leito Buses

by moffely Online Now Nov 20, 2002 at 6:40 AM

I'm looking at travelling on a Leito bus from Rio De Janeiro to Salvador- I will be travelling by myself and I'm female (with no Portuguese); will this be a problem? I'm having a lot of trouble finding information on prices and schedules, if anyone could point me in the right direction or has any comments about travelling by bus, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: Leito Buses

by Adelia Online Now Nov 20, 2002 at 8:35 AM

Hi, my friend! I travelled from Rio to Salvador in 2000 by bus with "Aguia Branca". The bus was great, so was the trip, despite the length (I think it was around 20 hours). So, I went to their website www.viacaoaguiabranca.com.br (Portug. only) and did some research for you, this was the result: viacaoaguiabranca.com.br/res... So, as you can see, it'll cost you R$ 160 (reais) on an executive bus (leito). I don't know about other bus companies...The website of Rio bus station is under construction, so we can't find anything there. You can buy the ticket at the "Rodoviária Novo Rio"(the bus station), or in ticket buying points in the city found here: viacaoaguiabranca.com.br/pg-... Good luck! Adélia

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • robine's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Leito Buses

by robine Online Now Nov 20, 2002 at 9:49 AM

"Leito" in this context, as you probably know, means a deeply-reclining seat. Long-distance coaches in Brazil are comfortable, inexpensive, and reliable, but remember that distances are great. Being female won't be a problem, but if I were you I'd bone up beforehand on a little basic Portuguese. Enjoy!

by Alison2002 Online Now Nov 20, 2002 at 10:10 AM

go to sociocam.com.br and it will tell you which compnies go to salvador - leito shoudl be fine because it is the best clas you can get i travelled from sao paulo to curitiba last weekend and i took executive class and it was fine i didn't feel at all in danger - there were loads of proplr and ladies travelling on their own - be careful at the bus station itself though - depending on what time you arrive and leave bus stations aren't the best places to hang around. regards alison

• Worldtraveler's Profile Photo

Re: Leito Buses

by Worldtraveler Online Now Nov 20, 2002 at 2:05 PM

Hi there! I were in your shoes a few years ago. I went from Rio de Janeiro to Curitiba by bus. "Leito" buses are very confortable, but I would not advise anyone to go by himself/herself to Rio's bus station (Sao Paulo neither); it's quite a dangerous place to be, mainly when people find out one's foreigner. Why don't you try flying? I think that they have a new airline (GOAL) that fit backpackers budgets (my kinda of budget), leaving from Santos Dummont Airport (beautiful view on take-off). Wish you all the best. Joey

by moffely Online Now Nov 20, 2002 at 5:25 PM

Hi Thank you all for your replies, they have been helpful. Alison, I can't seem to access the webpage you left though. Just another question if i may, can these buses be booked well in advance (on the internet)? or should I get a friend in Brazil to book it for me a couple of days beforehand? Also, does anyone know if these buses stop during holidays? I will probably have to travel either Christmas evening or the next morning. Thanks again!

• Re: Re: Leito Buses

by Alison2002 Online Now Nov 21, 2002 at 3:29 AM

www.socicam.com.br Sorry - there was no "O"! I had to go to a local operator here to book my ticket and pay for it - you can't seem to do it over the internet - although you can check availability over the internet. You then have to look up your nearest agent and go there to buy the ticket - you can ring up in advance and make a reservation but you then have to go pretty sharpish and pay and pick the ticket up. at least that is how it worked with the company that i travelled with - itaperiam - you will probably be travelling with another company though between rio and salvador so it may be a different procedure. regards alison

• robine's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Leito Buses

by robine Online Now Nov 21, 2002 at 8:17 AM

Long-distance bus tickets are widely available from travel agents in Brazil. The company mentioned, one of the largest, is Itapemirim. Have a good trip!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Brazil Travel Answer Locations