Bray Travel Answers

change location

Stone Walls?

by Irishsong Online Now Apr 2, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I have a quick question. Why do the farmer's separate the fields with stone walls? Is there some reason for it or is it just another form of fencing?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • hundwalder's Profile Photo

Re: Stone Walls?

by hundwalder Online Now Apr 2, 2009 at 10:23 AM

The native soil of Ireland is full of stones. The large stones needed to be removed in order for the farmers to grow crops. Making movable fences out of these stones was the easiest and most practical means of doing the job. The stone fences that you see have probably been there for a minimum of 400 years. You are definately viewing history when you see them.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 2, 2009 at 10:24 AM

It is entirely usual for farm walls to be built with stone when stone is more easily available than wood.

You will see many, many such walls in the UK (particularly on higher ground, and on moorland) and Ireland.

One does not 'waste' what wood is available on walling when the fields are full of lying stone of convenient walling-size (as they were, and many still are).

Constructing a dry stone wall is an extremely skilful job, and one which very nearly died out in many parts of the UK (not sure about Ireland). Fortunately, there was a revival of interest and ancient walls are now kept in good repair.

History here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_st...

dochara.com/places-to-visit/...

britainexpress.com/History/d...

• Re: Stone Walls?

by Irishsong Online Now Apr 2, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Thank you for answering that for me. My mother told me it was a way to separate land boundries between farmers and different crops. This is very helpful.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Apr 2, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Walls do perform those functions, of course.

In other parts of the UK (and in Ireland) you may see hedges doing the same job. These are often very ancient as well (espcially in the UK, where the number of species in a hedge gives a rough guide to its age.......1 species = 100 years).

But hedges require suitable soil (and time) to grow. If one's fields are covered in stones which must be cleared anyway before crops will grow then walling is a much more sensible option.

Sometimes you can find drystone walls so ancient that hedges and trees have grown through and on top of them. I have a photo of such a wall (in Devon) here:

"In the middle of the moor.................." - Postbridge by leics (second photo, click to enlarge).

• hundwalder's Profile Photo

by hundwalder Online Now Apr 2, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Your mother was correct. They were/are also used to contain sheep and other livestock. The stones served a function while being a practical place to put the stones cleared from the soil.

• donpaul77's Profile Photo

by donpaul77 Online Now Apr 3, 2009 at 10:22 AM

If you really want to see Irish wall making in the extreme, check out the Aran Islands. I think there is more wall than pasture :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines