Bray Travel Answers

change location

Travel Time on Train or Walking

by Irishsong Online Now Mar 25, 2009 at 7:50 AM

I was needing to find out how much time the train takes from Bray to Dalkey and if we walked up the coastal road how long that would take? Isn't it only a 7 mile distance and is there a stop in Dalkey between Bray and Dublin train route?Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • annemariebyrne's Profile Photo

Re: Travel Time on Train or Walking

by annemariebyrne Online Now Mar 25, 2009 at 9:55 AM

The train (DART) from Bray to Dalkey should take under 15 minutes, there are two stations along the way, one at Shankill and one at Killiney. Yes, there is a station in Dalkey and yes it's about 7 miles. However, it would not be possible to walk along the coast, as there is neither a coastal road nor a coastal walk as such. It would be quite messy but with the tide out you could possibly walk from Bray Harbour, along Shankill beach area and on to Killiney beach, after that you would have to walk uphill on the road and around to Dalkey as you could not continue along the cliffs and built areas. What I would suggest is that you get the train (DART) from Bray to Dalkey, walk back to Killiney (find Sorrento Road, then Vico Road) Along the Vico road you will have spectacular views of the coast and also a chance to turn off the road and climb up to the top of the hill which is fantastic. And/or you can go down to Killiney beach before getting the DART back to Bray. There really isn't much point in trying to walk the Killiney/Bray section in either direction in my humble opinion but it's your choice and if you do it let me know how you get on.
    All the best, Anne Marie

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Travel Time on Train or Walking

by Irishsong Online Now Mar 25, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Thank you so much for the information. I think I will take your advice. I am looking forward to coming over to your beautiful country and seeing it for myself. I am sure as I plan I will be posting more questions, but if your response is any indication of the helpfulness I will recieve I am sure my trip is going to be so much more enjoyable. I have always wanted to see Bray and am now even more excited. Thank you again. Patricia

• alan1972's Profile Photo

Re: Travel Time on Train or Walking

by alan1972 Online Now Mar 25, 2009 at 12:30 PM

I live in the area and fully agree with the advice Anne Marie gave. There isn't much appeal in trying to walk the Bray-Shankill-Killiney stretch, but Killiney to Dalkey can be a very nice walk - definitely try to include a walk through the park up to Killiney Hill. If you do it in the Killiney-Dalkey direction, and you want to go further, you can continue along the coast past Bullock Harbour (where you might see seals) and Sandycove to Dun Laoghaire. If you somehow still have energy after all that you can walk the East Pier in Dun Laoghaire!

Just to make sure you know what to expect, all of this would involve walking beside suburban roads, except the bit in Killiney Hill park - there isn't a coastal path as such. It's still a pleasant walk though.

You may already know this but the cliff walk from Greystones to Bray is also very enjoyable, and unlike the walks around Killiney it is almost all on a quiet footpath well away from the road. The DART goes to Greystones but not as frequently as to Bray (especially on Sundays when there are some long gaps), so ideally get the train to Greystones and walk back.

You can check train times, and see the order of the stations, at www.irishrail.ie . Also there is an outline map of the DART/suburban rail system at www.dublintourist.com/maps/dublin_suburban_rail.shtml , which may help you visualise where the stations are in relation to each other.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines