Brasov Travel Answers

change location
Mark_Lester's Profile Photo

Mititie at Piaţa Sfatului

by Mark_Lester Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 1:19 PM

We are doing this train trip, some of you will have bumped into me already.
There is now a late evening sleeper to Sofia out of Bucharest. It's intermittent right now, but we are praying it will be more regular during the summer.
The result of this is that, as we'd now have nearly 12 hours to kill Bucharest on arrival on the Ister Express from Budapest, we can jump off at Brasov and burn some of the time there, there are loads of trains on to Bucharest in the afternoon.
We'd get into Brasov about 9:30 or so, and I suggest we should spend about 4 hours or so in Brasov then get down to Bucuresti and have a few hours there in the evening.
I have very fond memories of discovering mititei from some place round the back of the square, on the south side. My question is, is it still there ?. What time does he get the grill going ?,
We'll just go for the old square straight from the train, make camp at one of the cafes there (there will be 14 of us) then head back to the station about 1:30pm for the 14:20 into Bucharest.
We wont be in a mad rush, so I'm sure we can work the buses out. I assume there is a direct one to and from the station to the old square.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • wabat's Profile Photo

Re: Mititie at Piaţa Sfatului

by wabat Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Don't know about the grill but yes there is a bus from the train station (right out side the train station). It doesn't go to the square but rather to a couple of hundred metres from it. Just ask for the correct bus - sorry i cant recall the number. Its a fairly regular service. By the time (assuming trains on time) 14 of you get into and out of town your really just going to have time for lunch.

Personally I'd go on and just spend all the time in Bucharest.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 4:06 AM

@Indianpacific - Yes it does and this is a great suggestion. Only potential problem - it arrives (or did last year when I was there) at something like 5am in the morning (nothing open till about 8 or 9) and there certainly are fewer onward connections to Bucharest. Looks like OP has onward train from Bucharest around 9pm so would need to be getting out of Sigisoara by late morning. It may not be practical but I recommend OP consider this as Sighisoara much more better than Brasov imho.

• Mark_Lester's Profile Photo

by Mark_Lester Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Thanks wabat, sorry, I didnt get a notification of your reply.
    There are a lot of these celar restaurants on or near the square, Casa Hirscher and a little further out of the suare Sergiana. We can get a 16:35 into Bucharest so plenty of time for a nice lunch.
    Romania has changed a lot, well Brasov has for sure based on google street view. We'd stil have 5 hours in Buc'. Sigi' is too early as you say, but 12 hours in Bucharest is too mich imho.

• wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Brasov and Bucharest different - i'd happily spend 12hrs in either. Personnel preference.
    I think Brasov will be great for you and im sure you will enjoy.

Looks like this thread screwed up somewhere - Indianpacific had certainly responded. Prob explains why you didnt get a notice.

Enjoy

• Mark_Lester's Profile Photo

by Mark_Lester Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 2:36 AM

ah, indiapacific knows about our ridiculous railway ruse. please restate if you wish. there are a bunch of cavernous celar restaurants in brasov, the timing for lunch is ideal. Sergiana looks like the best.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Brasov