Brasov Travel Answers

change location
Homanded's Profile Photo

Plovdiv, Bulgaria - Brasov trains?

by Homanded Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Trying to find train transport or mode of transport between Plovdiv, Bulgaria and Brasov.
Cannot seem to find anything.
Does anyone know approximate time of travel and costs or best mode of transport between these two cities?

Thank you in advance,

Homer and Ed

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Plovdiv, Bulgaria - Brasov trains?

by leics Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM

You can always rely on bahn.de, Homer:

bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/...

You'll get train times and details there. Long journey....

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

by Homanded Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Thank you Jane, those are indeed long trips.
    Figuring on doing overnight trains if we do which would certainly cut back on the cost of a hotel room or, are there low cost carriers within these countries?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Low cost carriers all over Europe, Homer. All safe and reliable enough...it costs them money if they aren't on time, so they don't like being unreliable. Think flying buses, and expect the same type of service as you'd get with a bus, and you'll be fine.

Have a look at www.skyscanner.net and see who flies where (all carriers, not just low cost). Will usually give you fares as well. Book direct with the airline concerned.

I'd rather fly than take an overnight/very long train journey, to be absolutely honest. Rule of thumb in Europe: train is almost always faster than flying up to 5 hours or so (because you have to allow for transport to/from, 2 hours before for check-in, baggage reclaim). After that, flying is generally quicker.

by Homanded Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Thank you for that Jane.
    I am in the beginning of researching a Turkey trip that Ed and I may do over the summer.
    As long as we're there I thought about doing an additional 10-14 day trip eventually leading us to Krakow, which Ed also wants to visit.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Krakow is absolutely wonderful, Homer. You & Ed should def go there if you can possibly pull it in. You'll need at least 3 full days if you want to visit Auschwitz and the salt mines as well.

by Homanded Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Ed has taught the Holocaust for years in school, both Social Studies as well as history and the subject is quite dear to him.
    It's on his bucket list.
    Thanks for tip

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM

If you want to do it by train from Plovdiv the best way to book is at the state-run Rila travel agency once you are in Plovdiv. I think (maybe best if you double checked though - VTmail mirchica who will be more than happy to advise) that the Rila office is located at Plovdiv's main railway station.

In the meantime here's the Rila website which may, or may not, have some useful stuff.

http://www.rilatravel.com/

by Homanded Online Now Mar 29, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Thank you John!

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

by Jetgirly Online Now Mar 29, 2012 at 4:03 PM

It looks like the best routes might pass through Ruse instead of Sofia, and it sounds like Ruse is a nice place. Train or bus, it's your call, but Plovdiv to Bucharest, via Ruse, and then Bucharest to Brasov. Definitely a long haul.

• Jetgirly's Profile Photo

by Jetgirly Online Now Mar 29, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Another wonky option is to get from Plovdiv to Ruse however works for you (bus or train) and then MAYBE- someone else might be able to comment on this- walk across the Danube to Giurgiu in Romania (there is a bridge!). From there buses leave all the time for Bucharest and you could then transfer to a bus or train to Brasov. I personally think it's kind of fun to cross a border on foot...

• johngayton's Profile Photo

by johngayton Online Now Mar 30, 2012 at 2:22 AM

The bridge over the Danube is a couple of miles outside of central Ruse and so walking is only feasible if you are travelling very light. There are though trains from Plovdiv to Bucharest but these have been disrupted recently.

Bus or train to Ruse though is easily doable and from Ruse there is a minibus service to Bucharest but I don't have up-to-date info on that.

But as I said before you can investigate the options through the Rila agency.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Brasov