Brasília Travel Answers

change location

Moving to Brasilia- nervous!!

by Bella6363 Online Now Jan 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Hello, I am an American in my late 20's. I just signed a contract to work in Brasilia for a number of years and am now thinking I could have made a wrong decision... I was wondering if anyone who lives in Brasilia can help me out with some information.
1. I will be living in the suburbs of Brasilia and will have no car and a very bad sense of direction!! It is important that I make friends and have an active social life. I am planning on learning as much Portoguese as I can. However, how do I make friends when there is not a lively downtown area?

2. As I am in my late 20's, I am also concerned with dating and forming a serious relationship with a Brasilian. Are relationships between Brasilians and expats common and would it be easy to find someone to date there? The city seems so closed.

So far from what I have read on the internet, some things seem pretty dismal. I am looking to have some fun and an active life and was not aware of some things.

Thanks so much for any input.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Moving to Brasilia- nervous!!

by davidjo Online Now Jan 2, 2013 at 2:28 AM

I do not live in Brasilia but i spent a week there and found that the central area by the big park, tower and buildings felt as if there was something missing (lacked a heart) but i certainly made friends with locals there and was invited to the suburbs on several occasions and had a good time. In general the Brasilian people are exceptionally friendly and fun loving. The language was sometimes a barrier but you will soon pick it up, don't worry. I have a few friends male and female married to Brasilians and i think that there is no problem with relations between expats and locals , one of the reasons being is that Brasil is a multi-racial society and all are accepted. I would say forget your anxieties and go there with a positive attitude, and don't forget any new place takes time to settle down.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Jan 2, 2013 at 3:11 AM

I imagine this is,your first expat position. Are you the only expat in the organization you are joining.? If not you will have a ready made set of friends when you arrive. Expats tend to look after each other. This network is very important and it will be easy to expand .. Incl,into the local population. If you into sports join local sporting club, if into Walkng join the local bushwalkng club, if dining / dinner parties your thing there will be people into that etc etc. You seem outward going so will have no problems. Off course you will miss home, family and friends for few months - that's normal. I recall when I first went oversees same age as you .. I continually asked myself if I was made especially before I went but also for while when there. One thing to do is make sure that you have friends outside work in addition to those you gain through work otherwise things become very artificial . As regards dating a local person , tread carefully . If you want it as more than fun think about what you expect to happen when your contract ends.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Jan 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Hi- I have not been to Brasilia so can't help with the specifics of the city but I was an American expat living in India for almost 7 years (married an Indian as well). I would definitely google "Brasilia expats" or such and join any/all expat groups NOW (such as internations.org/brasilia-ex.... The expats are a great source of local information (customs, politics, dating, good doctors, where to get a haircut, etc., etc.) as well as having meetings/get togethers and celebrating American holidays together.

It may difficult for you in the beginning - it's hard being away from family/friends but hopefully it will be a good experience for you. Be sure to take along your sense of humor(!) because you will find many things that are so different than what you are used to (that may be good or bad). The upside is that you will surely appreciate the U.S. a lot more once you return. :-)

Is your company allowing/paying for a trip or two home each year? A nice perk and something to look forward to.... I had to pay for my own but tried to get home each Christmas. I always packed up on my favorite food to bring back to India.

Good luck! I hope you have a great time.

• robine's Profile Photo

by robine Online Now Jan 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I spent a few weeks in Brasilia, but quite a long time ago now. Brazilians are certainly very friendly and welcoming, but you will need to learn Portuguese (not difficult). (I have been married to Brazilian for the past 39 years!) Your not having a car will be a problem, for (surprisingly, since it was planned by communists) it's designed entirely for the motor-car, and walking or buses are complicated.

• LouisD5's Profile Photo

by LouisD5 Online Now Oct 14, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Hi ,

Hi hope everything is fine for you in Brasilia. I was wondering if you could tell me the name of the company hirering you ?

Thanks

• AlainK8's Profile Photo

by AlainK8 Online Now Mar 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Hey, I know how you feel and being nervous is natural, i've been here 5 months now, I sort of know my way around so if you need any help send me an email alain.kohler8@gmail.com

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Brasília