Brasília Travel Answers

change location

taxi driver speaks in english!?

by SarahNat Online Now Apr 17, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Hey guys...
I'm totally lost in Brasilia
can't seem to find anyone that speaks in English... it is my first day so I haven't had a chance to learn or practice some phrases in Portuguese :(

I need help finding a taxi driver that can speak in English.. even if little bit... right now, I'm stock :(

Thanks

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • bahiana77's Profile Photo

Re: taxi driver speaks in english!?

by bahiana77 Online Now Apr 17, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Lost? In Brasilia? Think airplane. Hold out your arms. Asa Norte (North Wing, right arm). Asa Sul (South Wing, left arm) Centro (center, body) Roughly speaking, there are 3 roads that go the length of the asas (from fingertip on right hand to fingertip on left. The road the runs parallel through the centro has all the hotels, and the government buildings. Airport is at the tip of South wing. The National Park (with huge public swimming pools) is at the tip of the North wing.

Get used to waving your hands a lot, I guess. Or write down the name of the place you want to go. You're not likely to find many people who speak English anywhere in Brazil, but if you were, they would be the well-educated in Brasilia.
    Too bad you didn't post before you left or maybe someone might have told you to bring a dictionary and/or phrasebook. Somewhere in Brasilia, maybe at the sirport, you can find a bookstore that sells one.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: taxi driver speaks in english!?

by cgf Online Now Apr 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

well... not many taxi driver would speak Portuguese at Washington DC....
    better follow the previous post

• Re: taxi driver speaks in english!?

by fabimell Online Now Apr 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM

In Brazil is not easy to find one person who speaks english. I think that you could write in a paper( in portuguese of course) and show this paper to the driver.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Brasília