Brasília Travel Answers

change location

schools in brasilia

by deac Online Now Mar 29, 2007 at 8:50 PM

I am going to be moving to Brasilia with my two young children and am looking for information/advice on nursery/primary schools. My eldest will be starting kindergarten and I'm curious about what schools are available. I've seen the websites for the American School, Brasil International, and School of the Nations. Anyone have experience with any of those? Are there other international schools? Should we consider sending our child to a Brasilian school? I'd really like her to receive at least some instruction in Portugese, although I'd probably feel more comfortable with an English component as well. I would also prefer a school with a more secular than religious approach. Any advice on nursery schools for a two year would be great as well. Thanks for your thoughts!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: schools in brasilia

by SaoPaulo-Dude Online Now Apr 5, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Hello,

I won't be able to answer if there are American schools in Brasilia, but I know there are elsewhere in major cities.

My knowledge of American schools in Brazil brings up cost, quite expensive and segregated.

In my personal opinion you may want to register your kids in Brazilian [private schools as they offer high quality teaching, values and integration.I have close relationship with families that have young children in Brazilian private schools, for the overall value it seems that Brazilian schools would be preferred over American, not because of origin, but variety and accessibility.

I guess another value you may think: Imagine a Brasilian family in the USA registering their children in a Brazilian school. This would defenetely segregate their children to a fixed environment only.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by deac Online Now Apr 10, 2007 at 6:56 PM

Thanks for the thoughts on Brasilian schools. I'd definitely be interested in going that route and knowing more about the school system is key.

by mimif69 Online Now May 26, 2007 at 9:34 AM

HI, I am currently living in Brasilia and have info on all 3 schools.
    Brasilia International is quite a small school not many students but with a very strong religous influence. I have friends whose children attend this school and are happy with the acedemic side of things. I did not choose this school personally because we are not a religous family.
    Option 2, School of the nations. My children attended this school for 1 1/2 years. I was happy with the Portuguese content of the school. At this school you spend half the day studying in English and the other half in Portugues. I must admitt my children did learn a lot of Portugues at this school. Its just the English portion that was lacking. My son missed a term (1/2 semester) of Math, because it fell in the Portugues portion of the day and his teacher was told to only teach portuguese!!
    Option 3, American School. Yes, its expensive. This is where my children currently study. It has American qualified teachers. It has many extra activities eg. debate team, drama, honours rolls etc. At this school they teach one hour a day of portugues and the rest of the day is taught in English. All students,teachers speak English. I am sorry that I did not send my children to this school from the day that we arrived.
    All of the above schools have a program for younger children. Kinder and pre kinder.
    Regarding the segregation of the children. Unfortunately this happens at all the schools. Even though all students speak English, the Brasilian generally hang out together and the foreigners stick together. But at the end of the day they are all friends. What I do love is that my kids have friends from(we are Australians)America, Africa,China,Brasil,Argentina,Bolivia,Germany,England,Turkey,Lebanon,Canada,Japan etc.Its a real melting pot of nationalities.
    Another option for pre-school aged children is Maple Bear. A Canadian influenced child care/kinder for the younger ones. I don't know much about them, but their website is www.maplebear.com.br
    Hope it all helps.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Brasília