Brasília Travel Answers

change location

Electricity transformer availability

by scottNYC Online Now Jan 21, 2006 at 10:03 PM

Hi,

I am going to be moving to Brasilia with my wife and son from NYC. My wife is being transfered with her job.

I am a filmmaker and photographer and I have lights that are 110/120 volts and not 220V. We also have some other small home appliances that are also 110/120 volts and not 220 volts.

In America, I can buy transformers which will convert 220v to 110/120v. These are not the travel converters, but larger units which are meant for appliances and can be used for my film lights as well

My question is does anyone know if these types of electric transformers are available in Brazil? Here is a link to show you an example.

dvdoverseas.com/store/index....

Also, I would also like to communicate with anyone who is interested in a photographer or Cinematographer in the Brasilia region. I am interested in portrait, Nature/Environmental, and dramatic work.

I will be studying Portuguese for the first 6 months or so in Brasilia until I can become more fluent.

I am also interested in teaching English to earn some money as well.

Thanks,
Scott

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • RE: RE: Electricity transformer availability

by scottNYC Online Now Jan 23, 2006 at 5:52 AM

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

I am 99.9% sure theat Brasilia is 220V. I know that Sao Paulo and Rio are 127V respectively. I have researched this with friends who have lived in Brasilia as well as on the web.

I am just looking to cover myself.

Scott

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Electricity transformer availability

by LIC2F Online Now Feb 7, 2006 at 3:55 AM

Hi!

Yes, Brasília is definitely 220W! I just came back from NYC and had the same problem, lots of appliances that were 110. I acctually decided not to use transformers because some of them would have to be huge (and it is really not worth it if you wanna use a toaster!). I got an eletricist to convert part of my electrical system (mostly in the kitchen)from 220 to 110. It is perfectly safe and simple to do. Good Luck! Careerwise, have you tried to contact anyone at UnB (University of Brasília?), I heard that they have one of the best schools of filmmaking in the country. Also there is a french bistro called Daniel Briand (on 104 Norte, I guess), his wife (I can't recall her name) is a photographer and professor at UnB, maybe you should go there on a sunday morning to have brunch and try to talk to her. She's really nice! Anyway, Good Luck again!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Brasília