Bournemouth Travel Answers

change location
LouiseTopp's Profile Photo

Moving from Salisbury to bournemouth - what area's should i go for, and avoid please?

by LouiseTopp Online Now Mar 3, 2012 at 9:16 AM

I wonder if you kind people can help me, especially anyone who lives in and around Bournemouth. I know this is for people looking to holiday in Bournemouth but I would like some help anyway, thanks.

I have put my name down on a council house bidding list and they have sent me a form. What I would like to know is what area's should I avoid in Bournemouth, and what area's should I apply for? i don't want to move into the Dorset equivalent of TombStone or dodge City. Please can you advise me?

The list I have been given is:

Bear Cross or Bearwood
Littledown
Southbourne
Moordown
Strouden Park
Central (bit iffy about this)
Muscliffe
Charminster
Wallisdown
East, West and High Howe
Meyrick Park
Talbot Woods
Ensbury Park
Queens Park
Westbourne
Redhill/Northbourne
Iford
Slades Farm
Winton

Look forward to your replies :)

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • karen_mo's Profile Photo

Re: Moving from Salisbury to bournemouth - what area's should i go for, and avoid please?

by karen_mo Online Now Mar 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Hello
    I can't comment for all of these as I only moved here about 5 years ago but here's my views!

Southbourne Charminster Meyrick Park Talbot Woods Westbourne Iford should generally all be fine, but as anywhere each road can vary. Central Bournemouth does have a bit of a booze problem in the summer and at weekends, as you'd expect. Again it would depend on the road.

I have heard of problems around Bear Cross Littledown Wallisdown Queens Park Winton but to be honest, it would again depend on the street, so I wouldn't want to warn you off any area. It is far safer and pleasant here than when I lived in North London, no comparison!
    If you want to email me with any specifics for comment as you get them feel free! Karen

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • LouiseTopp's Profile Photo

Re: Moving from Salisbury to bournemouth - what area's should i go for, and avoid please?

by LouiseTopp Online Now Mar 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Hi I was going to put down Littledown as one, what problems have you heard there? I know Winton's full of students like Charminister, also what problems are in Bearwood etc?

Many thanks.

• karen_mo's Profile Photo

by karen_mo Online Now Mar 4, 2012 at 6:19 AM

Stick it down, I wouldn't worry about it round there. There are good transport links, the leisure centre etc Some of it's a bit desolate around the A roads, all these areas vary. I live in a quiet area but a few doors down we had a big drugs bust the other month - you never know what all your neighbours are up to! You certainly wouldn't be walking in to a ghetto if that's what you're worried about. K

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines