Boulogne-sur-Mer Travel Answers

change location
kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Ferry from England?

by kentishgirl Online Now Apr 7, 2004 at 2:07 AM

Hi all, A few years ago I would venture across to Boulogne quite often - travelling on the seacat.......Then for some unknown reason they stopped this service? I have heard that it was planning to be started back up on 31/03/04? Does anyone have any info on this? If it did start back up, do you know who runs it and where from? Many thanks in advance Ali x

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • Re: Ferry from England?

by JoseSilva Online Now Apr 7, 2004 at 3:18 AM

Hi, You can contact the tourist office in Portsmouth. www.visitportsmouth.co.uk . the fast catamaran I think started from last week the trip last about 3 hour. the company is P&O. I think their web is www.POferries.com. I hope it helps!!! Jose

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Ferry from England?

by kentishgirl Online Now Apr 7, 2004 at 3:25 AM

Hi Jose, Thanks for that, I have checked and cant find any info though? When the seacat used to run it would go from Folkestone and only take 35mins! Was a fab day out... will have to kepp trying to find out.....Many thanks for your help. Ali x

• chrishc's Profile Photo

by chrishc Online Now Apr 7, 2004 at 4:19 AM

The Seacat will be running fron Dover, I have seen one there but I am not sure if the service has started yet. It is run by Hoverspeed. In answer to your other question I am pretty sure trains from Calais regularly go to Lille. The courtsey bus from the ferry in Calais goes to the town centre AND the railway station. BTW Mussels and Chips washed down with a beer is a MUST at the cafe at Calais Station.

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

by kentishgirl Online Now Apr 7, 2004 at 4:45 AM

MMMM!!!! that sounds good! (the mussels beer n chips!) Excellent, glad to hear that the seacat is there anyway! I am from Kent but dont get down to Dover/Folkestone areas too often! Will keep my eyes and ears open for the long awaited service to Bolougne! Thanks Chris Ali x

• engineer_andy's Profile Photo

by engineer_andy Online Now May 10, 2004 at 8:54 AM

Not the Seacat, but I have just found a company called Speed Ferries who run a service from Dover to Boulogne, and also if you are booking a little way in advance are a lot cheaper than P&O etc. I have booked a weekend return trip for £50 basic, or £90 with a preferential upgrade. I think they are the nautical equivalent of EasyJet, but I have yet to see if they are really any good! http://www.speedferries.com/ who

• chrishc's Profile Photo

by chrishc Online Now May 10, 2004 at 10:24 AM

These are the new people who are running the Boulogne service and they do look very cheap. I think it will be a good service but when word gets around about the prices, places will go quickly.

• mintola's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Ferry from England?

by mintola Online Now Jul 28, 2005 at 12:40 AM

have just come back from a week in France and went with Speedferries. We paid £50 for the return journey, the earlier you book the cheaper it is, we booked last September! There were delays going and coming back, but I heard that P&O also had delays, we had a smooth crossing, they packed the cars like sardines, but we WILL be using them again, no duty free on board, but all we wanted to do was sit down for the 50 minute journey, there is a cafe, plenty of seating. I hope they do keep their prices down, their slogan is something like "beat the pirates"

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines