Boulder Travel Answers

change location
andylandrews's Profile Photo

Flatirons

by andylandrews Online Now Feb 26, 2006 at 11:33 PM

I have heard that the Flatirons are a really nice area to hike in and I will be traveling to Boulder in a few days for the first time. I am only going to be in the area for a few days, so I want to pick the best place/s to hike--would the Flatirons be a good choice or is there a better area to spend my short time?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Shaken_Bake's Profile Photo

RE: Flatirons

by Shaken_Bake Online Now Feb 27, 2006 at 2:26 PM

There are so many great places to hike in Boulder! I guess it depends on what kind of hike you're looking for; strenuous climbing or flat meandering. The weather will come into play as well, although at the moment the forecast for the rest of the week is mostly clear and warm (in the 70s here today!) If you have a car, then you'll have an incredible choice of trails within a 30-minute drive. If you're "stuck" in the city, you still have a lot of choose from, any of which will be outstanding!

The Flatirons trails are accessible via Chautauqua Park off Baseline Rd. Here's a great website which describes Open Space and Mountain Park in the city of Boulder: ci.boulder.co.us/openspace/n... Follow the links within this site to get trail maps and descriptions. Be sure to bring a camera because you will be blown away by the vistas! Have a great trip!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grant_was_here's Profile Photo

RE: Flatirons

by grant_was_here Online Now Feb 28, 2006 at 6:19 PM

the Flatirons is what Boulder is all about. No visit to the area is comlete without a hike around them.

There are two main trailheads when approaching the flatirons: Chautauqua Park and NCAR. I would first go to Chautauqua Park via Baseline Rd (which is a great drive for fantastic views of Boulder on it's own right). The park allows for classic pictures of the mountains. This is also where a lot of the trails start. I recommend Gragory Canyon if you want to get to the top!

NCAR is the second must. NCAR (National Center for Atmospheric Research) is a beautiful building tucked away next to the mountains. Drive up there via Table Mesa Dr. There are great views just from the parking lot - as well as many trails you can pursue. I recommend Mallory Cave trail for a short hike.

PS - the flatirons are best viewed in the morning/early afternoon, otherwise the sun will be beaming in your eyes everytime you look up.

Enjoy!

- Grant

• andylandrews's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Flatirons

by andylandrews Online Now Feb 28, 2006 at 10:30 PM

Thanks for the great and detailed advice guys! I just landed in Boulder but am excited to explore early tomorrow morning!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines