Boulder Travel Answers

change location

Summer in Boulder

by Sophia7 Online Now Dec 3, 2005 at 6:32 AM

I'm moving to the States this summer with a student four month visa (I'm Irish) and was thinking of Boulder. Really I want to go somewhere with friendly peolple and things to do for my age group (early 20s). Living and working in the States will be a once in a lifetime opportunity so I want get it right! I was speaking to someone who used to live there who said that Boulder had a great night life and gererally pretty cool people...was she right? Also, is it difficult to find restaurant work?
Any response would be appreciated, thanks!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

RE: Summer in Boulder

by mikelisaanna Online Now Dec 3, 2005 at 7:53 AM

Boulder is a fun town and it is adjacent to some beautiful mountains. Definitely a good choice. Just check into apartment costs before you go. Housing is expensive in Boulder.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • grant_was_here's Profile Photo

by grant_was_here Online Now Dec 8, 2005 at 9:32 AM

Boulder does sound like a great choice for a town to live in US for you. Unlike most small cities in US Boulder has a great public transportation system, as well as relatively lots(given it's size) of cultural offerings.

Oh, and don't forget the Rocky Mountains that are immediately to the west of it. You will definitely have fun if you like the outdoors.

In terms of the restaurant jobs - I would keep in mind that there is a large in university in Boulder (University of Colorado at Boulder) and so there are a lot of students, especially in the summer, who fills all the restaurant jobs. On the other hand, a lot of those students leave for home during the summer and thats when the tourist season begins so I always see wanted signs posted at the beginning of summer.

It terms of rent - it IS more expesive than Anytown, USA - but that's because Boulder is a very unique town - and because there a lot of students. But again, in the summer, most of those students are gone - so the rents comes down all around. Depending on how lavishly you live (or where) expect anything from300 to750/month.

Ask me more if you'd like - but keep in mind that I am biased - I love Boulder.

• CO-Chad's Profile Photo

by CO-Chad Online Now Apr 14, 2006 at 5:14 PM

I think "Grant was here" hit the nail on the head. There are a lot of students, which means competition for those restaurant jobs, but in summer many students head home. The presence of students the rest of the year also means a lot of bars and restaurants, which must be staffed.

Like anything, a lot of finding a job in Boulder is who you know. Make friends and connections, and you will find there are plenty of service-industry jobs to be had. (Unfortunately, I don't have many good connections in that arena to help you with - sorry.)

I've lived in Boulder for about five years, and I love it. Summer is great here. Like many college towns, the "summer feeling" is a bit more relaxed and enjoyable than the rest of the year. Although Colorado is famous for winter recreation (especially skiing), there's a lot of great stuff happening in summer, too. Also, some of the expensive ski resorts offer relatively inexpensive summer travel packages, but they still might be more than a student on summer holiday wants to spend.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines