Boulder Travel Answers

change location

Boulder - Austin Connection

by Figure5 Online Now Oct 9, 2003 at 11:29 AM

I've heard that Boulder and Austin are really similar cities. What do you think about that?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: Boulder - Austin Connection

by Bill_in_DC Online Now Mar 29, 2005 at 7:03 PM

I've been to both a dozen times or more. They are somewhat similar since each is a college town but Austin is the State capital. It's more of a "city" with plenty of business and governmental activity (for a Texas city LOL). Some significant business employers like Dell make Austin a very broad based comunity with lots of economic groups. Boulder is more research/high tech, upper middle class homogonous, with the school dominating the community. Austin sort of stands alone, where Boulder is very closely attached to Nothern Denver area. Boulder is less densely built, more residential, than Austin. Boulder is more laid back, Austin more business. Weather in Boulder is better if you like dry, clean, air. Austin is definately hotter and more humid. Austin has lots of road building and traffic congestion. Boulder is physically smaller with the built up downtown area only a few blocks square. Plenty of young people (18-22) in both. Lots of bars (Austin wins there), Boulder definately wins in the scenery department, with the Rockies starting just west of town. Boulder = Sking/hiking/rock climbing, Austin = Lakes, sweating and parties. People in Austin working class and conservitive, Boulder more eliteist and liberal. My 2cents, your mileage may vary.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines