Botswana Travel Answers

change location

Road condition Bokspits/Middelpits

by rloots Online Now May 24, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I am planning to travel from Kgalagadi Park to Botswana via Bokspits and Middelpits to Tshabong in a normal 2x4 sedan. The map I have seem to indicate that this is a surfaced road - but Google maps show this as a gravel road. What is the condition of this road??? Will it be advisable to do this road in my sedan???

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Re: Road condition Bokspits/Middelpits

by CatherineReichardt Online Now May 25, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Hi
    I haven't driven that road recently, but a key consideration will be the time of year you plan to visit. What's passable in a 2 x 4 sedan under dry winter conditions isn't always do-able after a heavy thunderstorm.
    Personally I wouldn't do it in a sedan, but my major consideration would be the ground clearance. I wouldn't necessarily think that you'd need a 4WD, but you will need a vehicle with high clearance and I would have thought that a bakkie (pick up truck) would have been a better choice as it's better designed for those 'off road' conditions.
    One last question: are you intending to drive this road alone? If so, then having a vehicle that is designed for these conditions becomes even more important. My recommendation would be to use a bakkie, but I would have thought that you'd be able to get away with 2WD.
    Regards
    Cathy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Botswana Travel Answer Locations