Botswana Travel Answers

change location
acprincess's Profile Photo

Public transportation to Maun

by acprincess Online Now Feb 28, 2008 at 10:46 AM

I'm totally naive about travelling in Africa. I'm planning on flying to Johannesburg, then getting (somehow) to the Okavango Delta, probably Maun. I don't particularly want to drive, but I'd like to see the countryside, and I think I'll be real tired of airplanes by the time I get to Africa. Are there trains or buses? I appreciate comfort, but I don't require luxury. Will it be tough with luggage?

Thanks
acprincess

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • SINYOMAH's Profile Photo

Re: Public transportation to Maun

by SINYOMAH Online Now Feb 29, 2008 at 2:02 AM

Most likely you will be taking buses,there bus transport between Johanneburg and Gaborone.
    It short distance not more than 4 hours

Remigius

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jeffsmith's Profile Photo

by jeffsmith Online Now Feb 29, 2008 at 5:49 AM

I don't know what your connection would be from the Joburg airport to the bus, but check out Intercape online. Take Intercape's advice on making that connection. They can get you to Gaborone. The local buses in Botswana can get you to Maun. The buses in Botswana are decent.

None of this will be particularly easy if you have a ton of luggage. If you are carrying only one bag and don't mind figuring things out on the ground, it can be enjoyable.

If you want to keep it simple and safe. Fly to Maun. It's somewhat pricey, but it does simplify things a great deal. No worries once you hit Maun.

No trains to Maun, but there is one from Gaborone to Francistown. You could catch a bus from Francistown.

Another option might be to fly to Gaborone. That gets you past the somewhat dicey Joburg part. You can then take a bus through Francistown and Nata. This will give you a feel for the country.

If I had plenty of time, I would fly to Gaborone, take a cab to the Brackendene Lodge, spend the night, catch the train to Francistown, and then a bus to Maun.

Someone else may give have some better suggestions.

Good luck.

• DAO's Profile Photo

THE WISDOM OF DAO

by DAO Online Now Feb 29, 2008 at 9:54 AM

There is no way to book the train from outside Botswana. There is no website.

There is some guidance here for you:

http://www.seat61.com/Botswana.htm

Have you thought about driving yourself? Botswana ia easy to drive. I have a good car rental company for you on my SOuth Africa page. I drove it and stopped when I wanted to stop.

All the best,

DAO

• bongski's Profile Photo

by bongski Online Now Apr 4, 2008 at 10:46 PM

From joburg to gabarone by bus: there is a daily 1:30 pm up bus from park station in joburg. There is also a trip in the morning by another bus company from botswana, but they have no reservation office and their schedules are not as regular as intercape. Its about 5-6 hrs bus trip to gabarone depending on how fast the border crossing goes.

If you take the morning bus from joburg, you can reach botswana by 2:30 pm, and Francistown by 9 pm. take a a taxi to a lodge or hotel and go the following morning by bus to Maun which is about 5 hrs from francistown. Gabarone and Francistown are relatively safe compared to joburg. All the buses from joburg and botswana are comfortable though not neccesarily airconditioned.

Another option is to go to Kasane from Francistown or Maun. Its more compact and easy to get game or boat drives. And you can go to zambia for a trip to victoria falls.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Botswana Travel Answer Locations