Boston Travel Answers

change location
avi888's Profile Photo

Boston over Christmas

by avi888 Online Now Nov 7, 2005 at 10:58 PM

Hi, I come from Australia and will be doing the East Coast as part of my round the world tour.

I might be spending Christmas in Boston, any special things that will be happening over Christmas? I guess everyone will be having family gatherings.

Also just wondering about going to Canada from Boston. Is it wise to drive or take a bus to go from Boston to Canada? I want to go to Montreal/ Quebec City/ Toronto and Niagara Falls. Is it too much to fit into a week? I want to go back to New York for New Years Eve. Is that too ambitious? Is there any options to go on road from Toronto to New York City, or is it wiser to fly?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • RE: Boston over Christmas

by ltt Online Now Nov 8, 2005 at 8:52 AM

your plans to visit canada are way to ambitous. if you leave boston on december 26, that only gives you 5-6 travel days to be in new york on the 31st. you could spend one day driving to niagara falls, spend one night there and then two in toronto then drive to new york.
    or do montreal and quebec city but don't try to do it all.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • garridogal's Profile Photo

RE: Boston over Christmas

by garridogal Online Now Nov 10, 2005 at 3:40 PM

The Nutcracker's a really big tradition here, in Boston. Why don't you think about seeing it?

bostonballet.org/nutcracker/...

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Boston over Christmas

by Krumlovgirl Online Now Nov 11, 2005 at 6:57 PM

I agree that your plans could be a little too ambitious. You'd be traveling more than you would really be seeing anything. As far as Boston at Christmas goes, it's a really great time to be there. They do a lot of decorating and have an ice skating pond in the Common. It's cold, and will probably snow, but it really is kind of a magical time to be there. "The Nutcracker" would be a good thing to see while you were there.

• diver-x's Profile Photo

by diver-x Online Now Nov 11, 2005 at 7:50 PM

I wouldn't try to attempt more than 2 or 3 cities in a week, especially in winter. The weather is inclined to be nasty at that time of year and driving could be treacherous or, if flying, you could find yourself waiting for hours or even days in the airport due to delayed flights. We don't usually get so much snow here in Boston in December, but are likely to get icy rain. Northern New Hampshire, Vermont and Canada will likely have snow. I'd say if you REALLY want to do Canada, pick either Montreal or Quebec City (I LOVE Quebec). Then do Boston and NYC. I'd skip Niagara in winter. It'll just be cold, wet & miserable.

It has been a while since I last drove to Canada, but I think the drive would be almost 5 hours between Boston & Montreal. Probably 6+ hours between Boston & Quebec City if you go through New Hampshire, depending on road conditions. It's a 4 1/2 hour drive from Boston to NYC. If your budget allows, go ahead & fly to save time.

• where2next's Profile Photo

by where2next Online Now Dec 13, 2005 at 4:43 PM

New York City has many Christmas related events and things to see. In addition to Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall has some holiday shows, and many of the big stores like Macy's have cool Christmas displays. My guess is all of those things will still be there when you go there for New Year's Eve, though perhaps maybe spend an extra day or two there. Getting from Boston to New York is not that expensive. There are several buslines that run there for20-$30 one way. Buses often make several stops so a normally 3-hour drive might be 4-5 hours by bus. If you have not been to NYC before, there is tons to do whether it be museums, historical sites, or visting the various ethnic areas (Little Italy, etc.).

Quebec has a nice old city centre with shops and restaurants, though in the winter I am not sure how much activity there would be. Getting there is quite a trip as others above have mentioned. I agree with the advice not to visit Niagara Falls for the sake of visting there. If you are in the neighborhood, then stopping to see the falls is not that much effort; though its less of must see destination.

If you are headed to NYC, then you will be a few hours from Washington D.C. If this isn't on your travel itinerary, then I would strongly recommend a stop here at some point. Aside from a couple museums in Chicago, D.C. has perhaps the collection of museums in the U.S. and last I knew they're free of charge.

No matter where you go this time a year weather may be a factor, though hopefully the roads will remain clear.

I would say too to follow your interest - perhaps there are museums or the like in particular towns that would make sense for you to complement going to the well-known musuems. This might take you off the beaten path to some small towns along the Northeast corridor, though in some ways might be more rewarding.

Hope this Helps!
    John

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines