Bosnia and Herzegovina Travel Answers

change location
haysnoe's Profile Photo

Drive Zabljak to Sarajevo

by haysnoe Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I have a question about driving from Zabljak to Sarajevo. in Summer 2012 I drove the insanely circuitous route down from Zabljak via Pivsko Jizero (not for the faint of heart but one of the most extraordinary drives I've ever done). Then, we turned south towards Niksic and later Ostrog.

My question regards the road from Pivsko Jizero towards Sarajevo. When I put those points in Google Maps they have me going way south through Trebinje and Mostar. What about the direct road, shown on Google as either E762 or M18? I suspect that they don't show this option because they don't recommend the road but, frankly, some of the roads they put me on last summer (Niksic to Ostrog? Yikes!) were truly, um, adventurous. My point is, what would a road in the Balkans have to be like to fall into the "not recommended" category?

Anyway, is the road truly bad or is it just a Google glitch and the road is OK?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • baja2013's Profile Photo

Re: Drive Zabljak to Sarajevo

by baja2013 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 12:16 AM

From Pivsko Jezero you just go to Bosnian border - Šćepan Polje. When you enter Bosnia, you have 15 km of narrow road, and after that you are on the main road from east Bosnia to Sarajevo (about 100 km). In a hour and a half you are in the capital, passing through one canyon, one mountain with a few sharp bend, another canyon and you are in the city. Google is not quite precise about it :)

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • haysnoe's Profile Photo

by haysnoe Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Thank you for your answer. What, in your opinion, is the most scenic route from Niksic to Sarajevo?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• baja2013's Profile Photo

by baja2013 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 10:45 PM

My suggestion is to take this route: Niksic - Pluzine - Brod (here turn left for 15 km or less and visit Tjentiste, national park and partizan monument from WW2). Turn back to Brod and continue to Miljevina - Dobro Polje - Trnovo - Sarajevo. If you like some offroad experience then the alternative is after Dobro Polje turn left to Kalinovik - Hotovlje - Argud - Ljuta - Sinanovići - Babin Do - Igman - Sarajevo. This alternative should be checked immediately before start

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Bosnia and Herzegovina Travel Answer Locations