Borobudur Travel Answers

change location

First time visit to Borobudur - Many questions

by amytoh28 Online Now Apr 9, 2007 at 10:26 PM

Dear VTers,

Am planning a 5D4N trip to Borobudur sometime August or September 2007. Will be flying in to Solo via Air Asia and have the following questions which I will much appreciate it if I could get feedback on:

1. How long is the journey from Solo to Yogyakarta by taxi and how much does it cost?
2. Do I need to pre-book a taxi or can I just get one on arrival?
3. Is August and September 2007 ok to travel in terms of weather?
4. Is 5D4N enough for the trip, taking into account that I'll fly in/out f rom Solo and would also like to visit Prambanan and Mt Bromo. The flights in/out of Solo are before noon.
5. Any good hotel recommendations that is clean, cheap (budget is USD20/room/night)?
6. Any trusted guide recommendation?
7. How much should I pay for rental of a car (for 2 pax) or a van (for 4 pax) daily with fuel/driver cum guide/insurance?
8. What else should I see/do in Yogyakarta and/or Solo?

That's about all the questions I could think of now and thanking everyone in advance for their invaluable feedback.

P.S. Noted that the forum for Borobudur is a bit 'quiet'.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • attanaru's Profile Photo

Re: First time visit to Borobudur - Many questions

by attanaru Online Now Apr 9, 2007 at 10:56 PM

Hi...I just came back from Yogya for a trip. Solo to Yogya will take 1 hours ride, i suggest to rent a car than go by taxi. If you want to rent a car, the cost will be around IDR.200,000-300,000/day (with driver & gasoline), much more cheaper than taxi. If you want to go by taxi, you can get one on arrival. Aug/Sep will be ok for a trip. 5d/4n will be enough for you, another interesting places you should go while in yogya : king palace (kraton), malioboro street, bringharjo traditional market, kasongan for handicraft, kota gede for silver goods, taman sari. There are many hotels near malioboro street, try Peti Emas. Well, last trip to yogya, i've tried rafting, trekking to Merapi mountain & trekking to boko temple.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: First time visit to Borobudur - Many questions

by lewisrankley Online Now Apr 10, 2007 at 6:27 AM

We used @RZa Transport. A friend who lived in Jakarta set it up for us. They were great. Arif Murwahto was our driver #0815 715 7755. Tour guide was Sumiatun. She can be reached at miaatun@yahoo.com. We bought batiks for framing and had teak furniture made and shipped back to the US. Ali Wafa Muhni made the furniture and he and his wife are wonderful to work with. aliwafa.mughni@mailcity.com.

• xuessium's Profile Photo

by xuessium Online Now Apr 10, 2007 at 7:40 AM

Just addendums:

Don't miss out on a visit to the Yogya Sultan Palace and certainly not Prambanan.

Have a page on Borobudor as well as Prambanan if you care to take a look and see if the tips are useful.

• pPamela's Profile Photo

by pPamela Online Now Apr 11, 2007 at 4:09 AM

Hi,
    You can catch a train to Solo from Yogjakarta, only takes one hour and costs 7.000 rupiah.
    In July 2006 I took the train both ways and for the trip to Solo I stood just outside the driver's compartment and eventually they invited me in and for the rest of the trip I stood in the driver's compartment and had the best experience- felt like I was driving the train.
    If you get an early merning train it is more pleasant. The late afternoon trains esp on Sunday are standing room only as I found out.
    I did not stay in a hotel in Solo, instead stayed with friends as I was going to a wedding in Sraegen.
    There is a good hotel in Solo- check out Lonely Planet Indonesia and it has a great cafe across the road with excellent food. Sorry I have forgotten the name- something like Wisma Griya or something like that.

August and September in East Java should be o.k. in terms of weather.

Sorry I cannot help with any guide recommendations- but you are sure to find someone in Yogjakarta.

If you have the time a motor bike trip down to see the beaches south of Yogjkarta are worth seeing in my opinion- namely Parangtritis, Sundah, Baron
    Kukup and Krackel.
    Here is a link to my photos taken in 2000.
    travel.webshots.com/album/50...
    I took lots more in July 2006 but have not put them up yet.
    My Gunung Bromo photos from July 2006 are here at travel.webshots.com/album/55...
    Cheers
    Pamela.

• pPamela's Profile Photo

by pPamela Online Now Apr 11, 2007 at 4:13 AM

Have a look at this interesting website I usually suggest to travellers.
    http://www.borobudurpark.com/

• Re: First time visit to Borobudur - Many questions

by PL&L Online Now Apr 13, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Aug/Sept is the dry season with average high temps of 31C to 32C.

Going to Mt Bromo and back takes two days of driving which makes for a busy schedule for 5D/4N. To do this you would probably drive to Yogya upon arrival and spend remainder of day in Yogya seeing sites in the city or shopping. The next morning visit Borobudur (one hour drive) and surrounding Magelang area and perhaps Pawon and Mendut temples and then Prambanan temples in the afternoon. Leave for Mt Bromo on morning of day three. Visit Mt Bromo the following morning and then travel back to Solo where you would stay the evening. Depart from Solo airport in the morning.

The advice from expats living in Indonesia is not to rent a car or hire an independent driver not working for a tour or cab company that is properly insured. It is apparently common for tourists to assume responsibility for accidents regardless of fault.

For a quality tour company in the Borobudur/Yogyakarta area, a trusted, reliable company can be found at www.borobudurtourandtravel.com Rohmad Hidajat who works for them also works part time as a guide and driver for the five star Amanjiwo hotel which is an impressive reference. Rohmad was our guide for several days and is a fanastic guide and person. He is an educated gentleman and very knowledgable. They may even be able to pick you up at Solo airport upon arrival and transport you to Yogya which is a very scenic drive. rohmad_180@yahoo.com (62) 293 789039 (62) 813 2818 0180
    or info@borobudurtourandtravel.com
    Ask them for budget hotel recommendations also.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines