Borneo Travel Answers

change location
fartinmonkey's Profile Photo

Can I get to the Orangutan sanctuary from Brunei in a day?

by fartinmonkey Online Now Jan 3, 2010 at 3:40 PM

We are going on a Far-Eastern cruise in May.

I really want to go and see the Orangutan sanctuary but we are only in Borneo for one day.

Can i get from Bandar Seri Begawan to Sandakan Orangutan sanctuary (and back) in a day?

What is the best way of getting there?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • fartinmonkey's Profile Photo

Re: Can I get to the Orangutan sanctuary from Brunei in a day?

by fartinmonkey Online Now Jan 3, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Ah, just looking at the cruise detials, we are in kota kinabalu for a day also. so same question but from kota kinabalu to Orangutan sanctuary .

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 3, 2010 at 3:54 PM

You would have to fly to Sandakan and take a taxi from there if you want to do it in one day. There is no way that you could do it by road in that length of time. I don't think there are any direct flights from Bandar Seri Begawan to Sandakan. I expect that you would have to change planes at Kota Kinubalu (Malaysian Airlines is one option or a Royal Brunei / Malaysian Airlines combo is another).

The other thing to keep in mind are the feeding schedules. I think there are 2 feedings a day (mid-morning and mid-afternoon), so unless you can hit that schedule, it would not be worth going.

We were there in 2008 and greatly enjoyed watching the orangutans. A short video clip of our visit there is on my homepage:

"Sepilok Oranguatan Rehabilition Centre - Borneo" - Borneo Video by GrumpyDiver

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 3, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Your second post came up while I was answering your first. It's a long trip by road but a short flight (50 minutes) from KK to Sandakan.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

by SLLiew Online Now Jan 3, 2010 at 6:53 PM

There also an orangutan sanctuary which is a short drive from Kuching, Sarawak in Borneo. I went to that one.

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 3, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Kuching does not help the OP. It's not a daytrip by road from BSB or KK either.

• SangAji's Profile Photo

by SangAji Online Now Jan 9, 2010 at 4:35 AM

your best option to see orang utan whilst in kota kinabalu is to go to shangrila rasa ria resort, see shangri-la.com/en/property/k.... rescued orang utans are sent here before being moved to sepilok. do book your orang utan tour in advance as nos of visitors are limited.

when in brunei, suggest you take the proboscis monkey tour at sg damuan, next to the palace. you also get to see kg ayer ie water village and other wildlife at damuan river. cheers.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines