Borneo Travel Answers

change location

Is Borneo safe for a 5 year old

by GBainbridge Online Now Jul 11, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Hi, my partner and I are looking to take our 5 year old son to Borneo in September this year and have read some travel warnings on our NZ Govt website. We are keen to gain some experienced feedback on whether it is safe to travel there with our son and if there are any areas in particular we should stay away from. We would generally take organised tours but also keen on any recommenations you have. We are looking to travel to both Sarawak and Sabah so any information is welcome. Thanks heaps.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Mikebb's Profile Photo

Re: Is Borneo safe for a 5 year old

by Mikebb Online Now Jul 12, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Hi We had a few days in Kuching, Sarawak during May this year, very enjoyable and could not see any problems. I would not let your 5 year old swim in the Sarawak river, many locals were swimming.

No problem with food, restaurants were clean etc etc. We found Kuching to be a great destination and regret not having more time.

You can view my page to obtain some info.

Good Luck,

Mike

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • balhannah's Profile Photo

Re: Is Borneo safe for a 5 year old

by balhannah Online Now Jul 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I found Borneo to be as safe or safer than some Countries I have visited. Do as you would do at home, and keep an eye on him and you should have no problems. On the islands off Kota Kinabalu, the brightly coloured coral fish will come in shallow water, he will love that. Take some stale bread! Have a good time, I would not worry..

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines