Borneo Travel Answers

change location

advice on sabah/sarawak

by ativak Online Now Mar 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM

hi.we are thinking of visiting kinabalu,doing the river cruise near sandakan and visiting the mulu caves.
we don't intend on doing a lot of trekking - just the basic amount needed to get to visit the caves and part of the tour.
however I am travelling with older travellers in their late 50s and we're not very adventerous so we wanted to be aware of certain things before we made our booking. in particular:
1. how big is the problem of leeches during treks or is it confined to only very deep jungle treks?
2.are leeches a bother during the river cruise and overnight stay in the rainforest lodge?
3. how much can you avoid leech bites really by wearing leech proof socks and long pants and shirts?
many thanks for all replies

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • balhannah's Profile Photo

Re: advice on sabah/sarawak

by balhannah Online Now Mar 9, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Leeches weren't a problem on our overnight jungle stay at the rainforest lodge. I got a (1) leech on me when we went for a guided night walk, and this was right by the Orangutan centre. Easy to remove. We did a few jungle walks, so I think we did pretty well.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Re: advice on sabah/sarawak

by AlbuqRay Online Now May 1, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I recently got back from a Borneo jungle tour. I did not go to Sabah but I did go to Mulu (and many other places). Leeches are basically everywhere in the jungle where there is foliage after a rain, but if you stay on the developed boardwalks and concrete paths in Mulu, you are not likely to get one. I have a tip specifically about leeches and how to keep from getting them under my State of Sarawak Warnings or Dangers tips (Watch the Red Arrows! and other State of Sarawak, Malaysia Warning Or Danger....

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines