Borneo Travel Answers

change location

orang utan

by patnalan Online Now Oct 5, 2007 at 5:17 AM

my husband and i (from uk) will be visiting borneo next June as part of a trip to kuala lumpar andhong kong. will be spending 5 days in borneo and anxious to see sights. would love to see the orang utans close up and missis loves shopping. is borneo safe cos we are used to wandering around places on our own. The ony thing my other half avoids is snakes - she has a phobia about them so please tell me where we can avoid seeing them. One of the reasons she has agreed to come on this trip is because i told her that snakes were so rare in this area they were protected !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • PiceaOmorika's Profile Photo

Re: orang utan

by PiceaOmorika Online Now Oct 5, 2007 at 8:04 AM

Hi!
    Certainly avoid banana trees and don`t take any coz the most dangerous species of snakes are hidden between scarfs of its leafs. Just don`t touch anything, your guide will take you to the trakking tour and they are more than informed and feel safe. I haven`t seen anything dangerous, lets say that all those animals are not that stupid to show up in front of you without any reason. The rain forest is full of orchids, pineapples, jack fruit, creeks etc. If you go trakking, don`t miss to spend a day or two in the longouse with Malay people at Borneo. Because you can`t approach to any longhouse (they are settled deep in the forest) you`ll take a boat ride. When you get there you`ll be wellcomed with traditional dance and traditional food. Tomorrow you`ll go trakking to another village and go back to yours afterwords by boat. It`s awesome!!! Think you can book it online. If not, there is an info centre in downtown of Kuching.

According to orang utans, i think you can`t cuddle or hold them or get along with them or suchlike, but feeding frenzy is enough breathtaking.

Borneo is cheep. Shopping is great than, right? ;) Malaysia in general is cheap comparing to Europe nasty prices. Bargain with them for any price.

Just relax and enjoy! It gonna be a great adventure and unique experience!
    For any info you need don`t hesitate to contact me anytime!

Greets,
    Jelena

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SangAji's Profile Photo

Re: orang utan

by SangAji Online Now Oct 8, 2007 at 3:10 AM

hi, i have lived for almost half a century right here in borneo! don't worry about snakes, they are equally shy of us and will avoid all contact. as for orang utans, they have very powerful hands, the males have been known to kill crocs by prying open their jaws!! so do not be cuddly with them.

borneo is divided politically into 3 territories ie brunei, sabah and sarawak of malaysia, and kalimantan of indonesia. which part are you planning to visit?

• Re: orang utan

by Dionysius05 Online Now Oct 21, 2007 at 3:12 AM

Hey in case anyone needs help in Brunei either on transport, cheap accommodations, places of interest, I know this guy who helped me out when i was in Brunei. His contact number is 8772366 Brad. I told him that i would help to post his contact here since he was nice enough to help us around for a very small fee. It is pretty troublesome to travel in Brunei. Hardly any cab around. The buses are rare too. Most places of interest were hard to reach.

Anyway, do call him for making your time there more enjoyable. Have fun...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines