Borders

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Stromness or Kirkwall for music

Orkney Jan 28, 2015 at 6:14 AM

Would it be best to stay in Stromness or Kirkwall if we want to enjoy traditional music? We have a car but would like to be able to walk to pubs or other places to enjoy music.

more
    • Camping/caravanning in the Highlands

Scotland Jan 4, 2015 at 9:58 AM

Will we need to book a place for the smallest of caravans in August - we need electricity but that's about all. Sort of planning Fort William and then eventually up to Ullapool and down via Pitterweem -

All itineraries very much welcomed Going up via Aberfoyle Kyle of Locash etc then down via Glamis etc

Many thanks

more
    • Linse's Profile Photo

Edinburgh Castle

Edinburgh Jan 17, 2015 at 4:03 AM

Hi
      How much time can you spend when visiting Edinburgh castle? Is it a couple of hours or a whole day or?
      We are not the types who will linger a lot ..............
      Thanks

more
    • outdoorz13's Profile Photo

10 days in Scotland...where to spend it??

Scotland Jan 15, 2015 at 4:35 PM

Hello all! I will be in Scotland in late April for 10 days. I know we are flying into and out of Edinburgh, but other than that, nothing planned. We DO NOT want to rent a car for the whole trip and want to use public transit to see the best parts of the highlands that we can. Are there particular towns that you recommend via train up in the highlands? We prefer villages and small towns to cities. We love the natural beauty, waterfalls, lakes, etc, over the museums and such. Any town recommendations are appreciated. Thank you!

more
    • 5 weeks in Scotland for a one time trip of a lifetime

Scotland Jan 17, 2015 at 7:25 AM

My husband and I are planning a 5-week trip to explore Scotland in Sept. and early Oct. 2015. I have longed to visit Scotland for a long time, possibly because of my Scottish ancestry. Three months ago I asked for input for a 3-4 week trip to Scotland. As a result of the great feedback we decided to expand our once in a lifetime trip to Scotland to 5 weeks. We are in our mid 60's. We enjoy hiking, natural beauty, history, music, meeting people and soaking up the culture of an area. We plan to rent a car and stay in B & B's or small cottages. We are flexible and realize we won’t do everything we are interested in because we also want to relax and just soak in the beauty. Our plan is to start in Edinburgh for 5 days: 1 day to recover, 3 days to explore Edinburgh, and 1 to explore the western border area. We stay in St Andrew's at the “Old Course Hotel and Spa” for 3 days, to explore the beautiful little towns in the area and play golf. Three days in Dunkeld (we heard they have wonderful music there) to explore Royal Deeside and Fife; going to the Highland Games in Pitlochry on Sept 12th. Onto Inverness for 3 days, exploring the west side of the Cairngorms on the way. We hope to catch the last couple of days of the Blas Music Festival there. We will explore the Inverness area and travel down the east and west side of Loch Ness. We head to Orkney for 3 days via the Black Isle area. We hope to explore the island and enjoy the music there. We plan to explore the Northern Highlands and coastal areas on our way to Plockton with a night in Durness and 2 nights in Ullapool. We will spend 3 nights in Plockton and explore the Applecross Peninsula and drive the A87 visiting Eilean Donan. Next we head to the Isle of Skye for 3 days of exploring. Onto Oban for 5 nights via Mallaig and Ft. Williams. From Oban we will have day trips to the Ardnamurchan Peninsula, Glen Coe, and Mull. On our way to Glasgow for 4 nights we will go south of Oban to Kilmartin and Inveraray. We would explore Glasgow and take a day trip to Stirling. We could also take day trips to Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park and to the Ary and Glasgow area. We would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

more

Popular Borders Travel Answer Locations

• milliturtle's Profile Photo

St Abb's Head or Isle of Arran

Borders Feb 12, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I'm planning a short trip to Scotland and have need some help. Basically, I have a few days in between Edinburgh and Glasgow and would like to visit the Southern region that has some good scenery and (easy to moderate) hiking / biking trails. After looking at Lonely Planet and on these boards, I am thinking about going to one of the 2 places. Which one would you recommend or are there other suggestions? I was hoping to find some info here but there aren't a lot of things to do tips on either page.

(I also plan to go to Fort William for a few days, so I don't know if there will be some overlap in stuff to do.)

Thanks in advance.

2 Answers Feb 15, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    • Do we need reservations?

Borders Jul 15, 2005 at 3:37 PM

We are planning on spending Thursday night 29, September somewhere in the Borders area. Do you think we will need reservations? Any suggestions for a moderately priced place to stay?

7 Answers Aug 27, 2005 at 4:54 PM
    • blue67's Profile Photo

sights in Melrose

Melrose Jan 15, 2005 at 1:41 PM

I will be staying in Melrose for a week this summer...any sights that must be seen in that area?

2 Answers Jan 15, 2005 at 5:36 PM