Bordeaux Travel Answers

change location

suggestions re locations around bordeaux please

by selym59 Online Now Jun 23, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Hi there

reading the posts and am impressed answers to previous questions....My wife and I will travel to bordeaux early july- 2 days in the city...then wide open for the next 8 days....as well as the north, south east and west offerings...any possibilities of being specific regarding areas to base ourselves in for a few days.......looking for a clean safe hotel...normal facilities...restaurants and scenery etc....can find the hotels no problem...but would love the recommendations re town or villages.

My comment re somebody flying into Cork in Ireland with a similar question would be ...fly to Cork...go to blarney- but avoid Midleton...travel to Kinsale but ignore Macroom...etc....

can anybody offer a similar suggestion around Bordeaux...I like to drive so no worries there and we've never been in this region before so no worries on previous hassles etc

many thanks

selym

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: suggestions re locations around bordeaux please

by Beausoleil Online Now Jun 23, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Don't miss St. Emilion. It is just beautiful and there is excellent wine tasting too.

After Bordeaux, you might consider driving along the Dordogne River. It is incredibly scenic with lovely villages along the way. A couple that come to mind are Beynac & Cazenac, Castelnaud-la-Chapelle, La Roque Gageac, Domme and a bit north of Domme is Sarlat-la-Caneda, a lovely historic town with a really fun market. You might even want to visit a cave or two and view the prehistoric cave paintings. They are north of Sarlat and very interesting.

There are abbeys and castles all over this area since the 100 Years War was fought through here. A castle on every hill . . .

It is easy to find a Logis de France in nearly every town or village. At the first one, get a directory and have them call ahead to make your bookings if you like. These are all fairly small, family-owned hotels and many are in historic buildings. Some are in the historic center so check parking if you need it. They nearly all have excellent restaurants. One near Sarlat I can highly recommend is Le Perigord, listed as La Roque Gageac but actually on the Sarlat turnoff in the countryside with a gorgeous park, pool and tennis. It is also very reasonable and the restaurant is sensational. Hotel-Restaurant Le Perigord, 24250 La Roque Gageac, +33 (0)5 5328-3655; Fax: +33 (0)5 5328-3873, http://www.hotelleperigord.eu, hotelleperigord@wanadoo.fr

The Logis de France web site is http://www.logishotels.com/en/

Type some of these towns into the VT Search Window to see photos and web links of the area. It's one of our favorite parts of France, incredibly beautiful and very friendly.

Have a great trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines