Bora-Bora Travel Answers

change location
lovinoz's Profile Photo

Romantic Dinner at Sunset and which Polynesian dinner/show should we book?

by lovinoz Online Now Jul 16, 2011 at 8:02 PM

My husband and I will be celebrating our wedding anniversary in Bora Bora in mid August. We would like to have a nice sunset dinner one night with breathtaking views, yummy food and a price that can be high but not ridiculous by Bora Bora standards.

Can anyone suggest a good place, approximate price range for main course, and approximately what time we should book for to enjoy the view and sunset?

On another evening we'd like to book into one of the Polynesian dinner shows and would appreciate your recommendation of which one is outstanding and the approx price. We will be in Bora Bora for a full week, so we are flexible which day we do the polynesian dinner.

Thanks in advance for any advice, happy travels!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: Romantic Dinner at Sunset and which Polynesian dinner/show should we book?

by cgf Online Now Jul 17, 2011 at 12:51 AM

I've been to Bora-Bora in August, I used to stay with locals and have dinner early, around 7pm, but do not remember any day light for dinner, it was already dark.
    Like most of French Polynesia, at Bora-Bora till few years ago there were not a lot of night life, the only place where to go it was Club Med where I don't suggest to stay for the unlucky position, not for ClubMed itself, also the next hotels have the pity about sun behind Mount Otemanu in the afernoon, no sun.
    BTW Polynesians are not night people, actually they awake early, it's easier to them around 6am than after 6pm, all things you find at night are for tourists.

as restaurant... on my notes I signed 'La Bounty' and 'Bloody Mary' but never been there, I was on a motu next to motu Tane and never had any need to go to main island at night, I've seen wonderful sunset from there. Where to stay is very important there. btw it's getting dark soon.

In FP quite a few people have dinner at 'roulottes', I know is not a real restaurant but it's "real" and also cheap. In spite I've never been in BoraBora, I suggest to go once to a roulotte, it's an experience and I always ate well.

a whole week? take day trip to Tahaa/Raiatea and/or Maupiti
    tahitiguide.com/content/Acte...

It was suspended last [austral] summer, I have no late news, but the service would have already started again now that it's [austral] winter, high season.

enjoy Bora-Bora

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jul 17, 2011 at 12:57 AM

I've been to Bora-Bora in August, I used to stay with locals and had dinner with them early, around 7pm, but do not remember any day light for dinner, it was already dark.
    Like most of French Polynesia, at Bora-Bora till few years ago there were not a lot of night life, in the island the only place where to go it was Club Med, opened also at other people during the night. I don't suggest to stay there for the unlucky position, not for ClubMed itself, also the next hotels have the pity about sun behind Mount Otemanu in the afernoon, no sun.
    BTW Polynesians are not night people, actually they awake early, it's easier to see them around 6am than after 6pm, all things you find at night are for tourists.

as restaurant... on my notes I signed 'La Bounty' and 'Bloody Mary' but never been there, I was on a motu next to motu Tane and never had any need to go to main island at night, I've seen wonderful sunset from there. Where to stay is very important there. btw it's getting dark soon.

In FP quite a few people have dinner at 'roulottes', I know is not a real restaurant but it's "real" and also cheap. In spite I've never been to any of them in BoraBora, I suggest to go once to a roulotte, it's an experience and I always ate well.

a whole week? take day trip to Tahaa/Raiatea and/or Maupiti
    tahitiguide.com/content/Acte...

It was suspended last [austral] summer, I have no late news, but the service would have already started again now that it's [austral] winter, high season.

enjoy Bora-Bora

• lovinoz's Profile Photo

by lovinoz Online Now Jul 17, 2011 at 7:01 AM

thanks for the reply. we will try to visit a roulette.

we will have 3 days in raiatea before we arrive in bora bora for a week. reason for a week is that we want 3 days staying on the main island to do tours and 4 days in an overwater bungalow at Pearl Beach Resort to just relax (not wasting time doing tour when spending so much money on the OW bungalow).

• Re: Romantic Dinner at Sunset and which Polynesian dinner/show should we book?

by ashton24 Online Now Jul 22, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Top Dive is a place where locals and visitors enjoy the delicious food in the sunset. You can try this place if you are looking for a romantic dinner. Please try experienceoz; you can get all the bookings done very easily. You can also try fare Manuia, Villa mahana (cosy & romatic), Kaina Hut (excellent food & service, but very busy place).

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Aug 6, 2011 at 12:45 AM

For my taste the sunsets from a motu are best as you have great light over the mountains of the main island, be it the light behind the mountains or the reflecting light over the island when you stay at the Pearl Beach Resort - which is in the west, meaning the "wrong" side for the sunset over the island. (But great sunrise in case of clear sky.)

The sun sets no later than 6pm, meaning too early for dinner - as cgf already pointed out.

About every hotel has a Polynesian Night, about once a week. Lately I saw such a show at the Maitai Hotel (where BTW you have the best views from the hillside bungalows and not the OWBs). The show was ok, the buffet food very average. Some drinks included in the price.

You find roulottes in Vaitape and at Matira Point. At Matira Point also other options with not so extremely expensive food.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines