Bora-Bora Travel Answers

change location
madcitygirl's Profile Photo

Bora Bora or Island hop

by madcitygirl Online Now Jun 13, 2010 at 9:56 PM

My husband and I are going to Bora Bora in February for our anniversary, and I think we have decided to stay at the Pearl Beach Resort & Spa. Is it best to just stay on Bora Bora for 6 or 7 nights and do a couple of day trips, or would it be better to go to another island and stay for a couple of days as well?

Our plans are to snorkel, swim, sleep in and drink... not necessarily in that order.

Any advice as to island hopping or staying put on Bora Bora is greatly appreciated!

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Bora Bora or Island hop

by xymmot Online Now Jun 14, 2010 at 12:18 AM

if the idea is snorkel,swim sleep, drink, why move.??? If the Pearl Beach is great , stay there. Most snorkel sites around the area, you see the same.Bora Bora is a exotic destination already. You are there. Cheers Tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Bora Bora or Island hop

by nzbased Online Now Jun 14, 2010 at 12:30 AM

If it suits your travel plan, you could call in at Moorea either at start or end of your trip. I am pretty certain they also have a Pearl Beach Resort with overwater bales. We enjoyed the lush flora and beautiful scenery - also the French food and wine. We hired a car and toured the whole island. Be warned though, your money does not go far on these very expensive islands. We had our two teens with us for New Year's week and it was credit-card meltdown! It was also quite rainy - guess it was the season.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jun 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM

You may find yourself get a little antsy after four or five days in Bora Bora, as beautiful as it is. Perhaps consider 3 days on Moorea and the rest on Bora Bora. I am partial to the Sofitel resorts, but the Pearl is just fine.

Remember, once on Bora Bora, there is not much island hopping to be had. It is fairly isolated from the rest of French Polynesia.

http://www.boraboraisland.com/#do

http://www.gomoorea.com/

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jun 15, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I agree, 6/7 nights in bora-bora are too much.
    I would change but not to Moorea (of course not :lol:)
    have a look at Tahaa, easyly reache by with direct and frequent dayly flights from Bora-Bora to Raiatea, no need to go to Tahiti first.
    I suggest 3 nights at Le Taha'a Private Island & Spa which is recently affiliated to the prestigious Relais & Chateaux organization but they used to have a very good service also before, do not worry once out of plane, people and a private boat would be awaiting for you at airport.

• paulachin's Profile Photo

by paulachin Online Now Jun 20, 2010 at 6:56 AM

In my last trip to Polynesia I visited several islands instead of stay put in Bora Bora for the entire 10 days. I don't regret it.I enjoyed a lot Raiatea and Huahine. If I had known before I would have not wasted three days in Thaiti in order to visit Morea. This can be done in one day and move to another island the day after.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jun 21, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Everybody on Bora Bora will tell you that the ultimate island to visit is Maupiti. I have not been there yet but will surely go on my next visit. The locals say it is even more beautiful than Bora Bora and has a lot less tourists, so it should be the perfect paradise. You get there by boat from Bora Bora.

The suggestion to visit Raiatea and Tahaa is very good. I found Raiatea marvellous. Nearly no tourists, so rich in culture, Bora Bora sitting at the horizon - just magic. Raiatea is the cradle of Polynesian culture, you find the most important temples there. It takes a while to get around as the west coast road is not sealed. We went on a smaller loop on a scooter, that was fabulous. For the big loop you need a car.

Other than cgf, I love Moorea as well and would recommend it to everyone ;-))) cgf must really have visited on the worst days of Moorea's locals...

In general I would say, how you split up your time, or if you split it at all, depends on what your idea of a perfect holiday is. Bora Bora's lagoon is incredibly beautiful, it is good for swimming, you can hike up Mt. Pahia, go snorkeling, cycle around the island. If you just want to relax it is the perfect place, as should be Maupiti. As you have not listed more interests, you might want to split the time between Bora Bora and Maupiti.

If you want to encounter culture Moorea and especially Raiatea are far more interesting - but those islands are not great for swimming. Especially Raiatea has no real beaches. Moorea and Raiatea are also far bigger than Bora Bora (the circle-island road is only 30 or 32 kilometres), you can cycle around it in three to four hours. Tahaa (Raiatea's sister-island) has big vanilla plantations, on inland Moorea they grow pineapple, pawpaw and lots more.

As you surely have to travel through Tahiti (Papeete) you have all options, as Moorea would just be a stonethrow from Papeete, Raiatea/Tahaa and Maupiti at arm's reach from Bora Bora. So it's up to you to decide what you want to do.

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Jun 26, 2010 at 12:22 PM

probably I visisted the best part of Tahiti, I liked very much [more then Moorea] :lol:

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jun 28, 2010 at 2:53 AM

LOL

You do not give up :-)))

I found Tahiti also beautiful although I had no time to travel on the entire island.

• Re: Bora Bora or Island hop

by DonnaV Online Now Nov 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I have the same question regarding Bora Bora in February. Can't believe I assumed that because
    we were going to New Zealand and that it was summer there is would be summer in French
    Polynesia. Shame on me for not doing my homework. So....just wondering now that I've
    read it's rainy season, what experience others have had during this time of year. Thanks
    in advance. Dumbo

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Nov 25, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Although a bit unpredictable, February is/March are the warmest months in Bora Bora, and you should be just fine. Yes it is the rainy season, but that does not mean that it rains all the time. In the absence of an actual major storm, chances are that there will be some showers intermittantly, and it will be rather humid. I would however not hesitate to go ahead with plans. Here is the weather chart from February 2010 for review. No guarantee of course that is will be exactly the same...

tutiempo.net/en/Climate/BORA...

Keep an eye on this site for updated weather forcasts for Bora Bora. Good luck....d:o)

wunderground.com/global/stat...

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Nov 26, 2010 at 5:45 AM

don't forget mosquitos, I found they are also in Paradise.... and it was August!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines