Bora-Bora Travel Answers

change location

Bora Bora Trips

by fosterite Online Now Sep 15, 2009 at 12:39 AM

I arrive from London in Bora Bora on Monday October 5th. I am looking to do some activity's over the next 3 days before departing to Australia. I was wondering what would be the best Island to go and visit other than Tahiti. I was thinking of Moorea. Also what would the best way to get there be, by Boat Plane etc. I am staying at the Novotel on Viatape beach by the pier.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: Bora Bora Trips

by cgf Online Now Sep 15, 2009 at 1:57 AM

Vaitape is at Bora-Bora, do you mean to go to Moorea from there? it's not worth to go to Moorea from there, beside it does not make an sense to go from Tahiti to BoraBora then Moorea and back to BoraBora and Tahiti again as international flights takeoff and land there, Moorea it's just in front of Tahiti.
    From Tahiti if you were close at pier (not Vaitape, but Papeete) you could take a ferry, short ride to Moorea, if you were closer to Faa, where the airport is, you could think about a plane, less then 10 minutes including take off and landing, it's up to you.
    to visit Moorea I suggest to stay in Papeete, leaving early in the morning to Moorea and back late afternoon. At Moorea pier there are rent-a-car or scooters/bikes and enjoy the island.

IMHO Bora-Bora is much better then Moorea, in ALL ways!

anyway from Bora-Bora to Moorea the best way is to go there by plane, maybe the most expensive fare of AirThaiti, by boat it takes long time.

back to Bora-Bora.
    It's a must see in F.P. you might ask at your hotel or [better] call directly Chez Nono at Matira for a lagoon trip with them. Whole day trip with lunch included. this picture was taken during a lagoon
    cache.virtualtourist.com/303...
    you do not need to go to Acquarium!

Btw for the beach at BB you may consider Matira, it's not far from Vaitape but I sugget to take a "le truck"
    do not worry for the day of lagoon trip, they will come to pickup and take you back at your hotel.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Sep 15, 2009 at 3:08 AM

CGF is right. You will not arrive on Bora Bora from London but in Papeete on Tahiti. From there Moorea is so close that you think you could swim!

With three days only you would have to fly to Bora Bora, or you would lose too much time by taking the ferry - as you would have to be back in Papeete for getting on your flight to Australia.

Although I think Bora Bora has the most fantastic lagoon, I think Moorea is more interesting culturally, and also more diverse because it is much bigger than Bora Bora. The lagoon with its turquoise blue water is also spectacular, especially in the area of the Sofitel resort. You can hire a car (I made very good experience with Avis) and not only drive around the island like on Bora Bora but also go inland to fabulous lookouts and fruit plantations. There are a lot more interesting churches than on Bora Bora.

Bora Bora is small enough to cycle around the island in several hours, just 32 km. I absolutely loved this. Most car rental companies rent bicycles (we got one from Avis). It is a great way to explore the island. Le Truck is very unreliable on Bora Bora, and does not service the whole island, just forget it. If you stay at a smaller hotel they often give you a bicycle for free or for little money. This also is the best way to get to the beach. Matira Beach is the main and best beach and just magic.

I have just made a VT page about Bora Bora, so you can find all relevant information there. I have had no time to write my Moorea page but be assured, it is fantastic and easy to reach from Papeete. However, to be so close to Bora Bora and not go there... Well, you have to decide. Check out ferry timetables. Some travel overnight, so you would not lose too much time. One thing is for sure, I would not stay on Tahiti. It is a beautiful island but pales in comparison to those paradise islands.

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Sep 15, 2009 at 3:21 AM

you may go to Maupiti from Bora-Bora as day trip by Maupiti Express
    http://www.maupitiexpress.com/
    here some pics
    "Maupiti" - Personal Page by cgf

You may think also at Tahaa/Raiatea, they are both very nice islands, but it seems you have to spend a night there.

I'm longing to go again to FP, the only islands I would go back again would be BoraBora, Maupiti and.... Tahiti, traveling is an own experience so it's normal to have different point of views.

by Kakapo2 Online Now Sep 15, 2009 at 4:15 AM

I would also go back to Raiatea and Tahiti, and to Maupiti... Already planning my next trip to FP. What a pity that you do not like Moorea, what have they done to you? ;-)

I think the problem is that the poster has only three days from Papeete. Going to Maupiti from Bora Bora would eat away more travel time. Raiatea was nearly bare of tourists - but also of beaches. So if you want to get into FP's history and culture, it surely is the most interesting island. For beaches and lagoons it would be absolutely wrong to go there.

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Sep 15, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Q. "what have they done to you?"
    A. nothing special.

Moorea it's the only place in FP where I found impolite and distrustful people, let's say also a little bit stressed.
    I found this island very touristy and business is only money-oriented and not customer-satisfaction-oriented.

Let's also say most of the people there never smiling, I rarely heard words like maeva - ia orana - nana, actually, also maururu or merci were 'hard words'. These are little touches you might not notice if you just come from outside FP and not like my wife and I arrived at 22nd day in FP, last island of eight visited.

How we were dreaming..... At reception in Moorea, filling the check-in cards we asked "today it's 18th, isn't it?" a kind lady, the only one smiling person in the hotel, told us "you're really on holiday, today is 23rd!".

I wish I could 'dream' again, I loved people in French Polynesia not only the places; this not in Moorea.

After I spent three night there I could say Moorea has to be made from Tahiti as a day trip with a scooter, looking for a beach Papeotai imho is the best as there is more sunny hours and it's possible to see the fully sunset from there, restaurants are overpriced, at night nothing special, none in the road and beware because quite a few dogs around, better do not walk at night, as evening entertainments something inside Sofitel/Intecontinental/otherhotel or Tiki Village Cultural Centre.... opened also during the day, with some imagination there is a reconstruction of a Polynesian village, the house of Gauguin, people showing their works or making flower garlands, pareos or tifaifai, tattoo artists, [of course] a boutique of souvenirs. It's possible have Tahitian wedding, imo something for tourist on their fresh or late honeymoon.
    Opening hours from Tuesday to Saturday from 10.30 am to 3.00 pm; in the evenings for the feasts from 5pm and 8pm except on Thursday, Sunday and Monday, Polynesian show is on same days at 8.45 pm. During the show it's possible having dinner, I suggest do not eat there, foods are nothing to remember except the price.
    Weddings can be booked with several dancers, musicians, it's also possible to book a floating farè for the night, the show with/without dinner can be booked same day, but it is better to book the wedding quite in advance.

I could write more, but let's say in a nutshell: Moorea is highly overrated.

by Kakapo2 Online Now Sep 16, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Really strange. But it is good to discuss here. We made exactly the opposite experience in Moorea. Everybody smiled (perhaps it was Sunday?), the people greeted, we spoke to people outside the churches after Sunday service, and a lady gave us her flower necklace. As one of my friends did not speak French they even tried to speak English with her. At the Tiki Village we even got a private pearl presentation on the beach when we arrived early in the morning before the tourist buses arrived, and had a long chat about a lot of things.

We also dipped into the water at Papetoai but I did not find the beach was very exciting. Anyway, we loved Moorea because the people were so friendly.

The most unfriendly person we met on our only four FP islands was on Bora Bora at the car/bike rental agency. And a dog chased us on the bikes and nearly attacked my husband. Although we met nice people, one even helped us after one of the bikes had a flat tyre, we thought the people on Bora Bora were the most reserved ones - and thought they were a bit tired of all the tourists.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines