Bora-Bora Travel Answers

change location

Currency exchange

by oasab Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Hi,
we are planning to go to Bora Bora end of July. Since we prefer to pay cash in restaurants, shops, etc, could anyone tell me where is the best to exchange our money? Should we do it in Tahiti, before arriving to the island? I am thinking maybe the exchange rate on the island is not as good.
Thanks in advance!

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Usctwin's Profile Photo

Re: Currency exchange

by Usctwin Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Where are you staying? There is a bank in the main Vaitape area that had the best rate when we were there. Check the rate before you leave. It will obviously fluctuate some, but then you can choose based on your options. Do not exchange at the Papete airport. If you're planning on being in Tahiti for a day and can get to a bank, they will have the best rates. Otherwise, wait for the bank.

Also, if you contact your credit card company or bank before departure and let them know that you are going international, you may be able to negotiate using your credit card or debit card a few times before being charged an international fee. Since most places in Tahiti and Bora Bora only accept Tahitian money, you should make sure you have some on you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Currency exchange

by oasab Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Hi & thanks for the feedback.

staying at the IC Le Moana. Where can I find the Vaitape bank rates? W do not have enough time to find a bank in Tahiti, so probably will need to change tyhe money in Vaitape.
    Any other tips?:)
    thanks
    Oana

• Usctwin's Profile Photo

Re: Currency exchange

by Usctwin Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I'm sorry, I dont know where you can find them. They fluctuate daily. Here's a picture of a map of the area. smg.beta.photobucket.com/use... We went to Banque de Polynesia. Here's the bank's website. Not sure if rates are listed here. It's in French. https://www.sg-bdp.pf/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines