Bora-Bora Travel Answers

change location

Check-In Baggage Weight Limit

by papayaman Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Our Air Tahiti Nui flight from and to California has a one bag weight allowance of 50 lbs per passenger. The Air Tahiti Interisland flight has a check-in bag weight limit of 44 lbs. I am told that our bags will be transferred to Air Tahiti once we land in Papeete so there should be no issue going to Bora Bora if we are between 50 and 44 lbs.
What about on the going home flight? If we are over 44 lbs when we check-in with Air Tahiti in Bora Bora, will we be penalized or does that fact that we are connecting to an International Flight give us the 50 lbs allowance with no penalty. We would like to do a little shopping in Bora Bora.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Check-In Baggage Weight Limit

by goodfish Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Can't answer for these airlines but universally (as far as our experience) bags are weighed at your first check-in point - so coming home, your bags should conform to the weight limits dictated by whatever airline you're checking in with.

But more importantly, most carriers note that their own rules do not apply to other carriers/partners you may be transferring to when completing other legs of your trip.

In short: it's best to go with lowest maximum weight/size allowances of the multiple airlines you'll be flying with; both ways. Having less rather than more can be especially important if a flight is canceled and you end up on a different airline.

To be absolutely certain you would be allowed the higher weight both/either way, i might suggest sending an email to the carrier's customer service center.

But I would think you'd have to pack an awful lot to push that 44 pound limit to begin with? Packing light - so as to easily manage our baggage ourselves - we've done 3 weeks in Europe with neither of our bags weighing in at over 25 pounds.

And you will also have carry-ons, I assume? Again, there will be weight/size limits on those but if you pack carefully, you should have some room for a few take-homes in those as well.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Check their baggage allowances on their websites. But more importantly, contact the airlines to ask these questions.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Usctwin's Profile Photo

by Usctwin Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Are you scuba diving? Do you have scuba gear? If so, they are a lot more flexible with weight limits. Are you using a travel agent, or did you book this yourself? If travel agent, ask them to confirm all the flight baggage allowances for you. If yourself, then you should call the airline to confirm so you can relax and enjoy the time leading up to your trip. :)

• Re: Check-In Baggage Weight Limit

by papayaman Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Thank You everyone for your answers. Goldfish - looks like we will have to be more careful in what we pack in the Check-in bags. As far as the carryon for Air Tahiti inter-island, the allowance is only 6.6 lbs.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I'm guessing (and really just guessing) the lighter allowances are because of smaller planes on that leg. :O)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines