Bol Travel Answers

change location

Is it save from Ljubljana to Split and on to Bol?

by zane_j Online Now May 28, 2003 at 5:11 AM

I am planning to go from Ljubljana to Split and Bol (island Brac) with my car. Is it save to drive through cities like Knin and Plitvice, because of the war some years ago? Thanks Zane

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Anacnus's Profile Photo

Re: Ljubljana to Split and on to Bol?

by Anacnus Online Now May 28, 2003 at 6:01 AM

It is safe! And for some years now. There are many new fast motorways to Adria. You should go there, and fill up your batteries!. Anacnus

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Travelchili's Profile Photo

Is it save from Ljubljana to Split and on to Bol?

by Travelchili Online Now May 28, 2003 at 6:16 AM

I drove all over Slovenia and Croatia last year with my own car and it was perfectly safe. You don't have to worry about the war some years ago, however, I have heard that there are car thiefs around (but it is the same story everywhere). Just follow the usualy safety precautions! Anyway, enjoy your trip!

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Re: the war is far behind us

by croisbeauty Online Now May 28, 2003 at 8:49 AM

Take this route: Ljubljana-Zagreb-Karlovac-Slunj-Plitvice-Korenica-Knin-Sinj-Split. It is very safe and you don't have to be vorried about. Make sure to be at Split harbour early in the morning to get the ferry to the island of Brac.

• Re: Re: the war is far behind us

by Echo_29 Online Now May 28, 2003 at 8:21 PM

Last September we drove the route that croisbeauty just suggested. It is an interesting drive, especially after you leave Karlovac, beautiful landscapes mixed in with far too many abandoned towns in various states of damage or repair. A really odd and tragic landscape that is still very scenic.

• NO, IT IS TERRIBLE!

by FORDORG Online Now May 31, 2003 at 5:25 AM

No, IT IS NOT SAFE AT ALL! When you pass through Knin and Plitvice, they stop you, take you down, beat you badly, cut your meat piece by piece and then eat you up! Please o not come to Split cause it si SO dangerous in Croatia, especially on the sea that you may not survive the terrible situation here. NOW SERIOUS: What a stupid question!?!?!?! I am a foreigner myself and have gone through the war and have travelled over 200,000 kn in the last 2 years and there is NO-NO-NO problem. WHo told you these stupidities about Croatia?!!!

• mirana's Profile Photo

Re: Is it save from Ljubljana to Split

by mirana Online Now Jun 3, 2003 at 12:41 AM

It is completely safe, don't worry. Since I'm traveling from Zagreb to Split at least 10 times a year, I would recommend you the route Ljubljana-Zagreb-Karlovac-Slunj-Plitvice-Korenica-Knin-Drnis-Split. Someone else recommended the route through Sinj, but it is longer and more crowded with tourists. When you come to Knin there is an round-about where you have signs for Split (on the left), and that is the route through Sinj. But, you don't go left, you go right, direction Drnis and you come faster to Split, with less traffic on the road. On the route through Sinj, there might be police checking speeds, on this one through Drnis, I have never met any. Have a nice stay in croatia!

• Re: Re: Is it save from Ljubljana to Split

by Gisela2003 Online Now Jun 3, 2003 at 12:58 AM

According to Amnesty International, the Slovenian Police doesn't respect the human rights....and i've said all ! I am not going there for 6 years, and i live in Graz, near to their border...think about it

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Is it save from Ljubljana to Split

by croisbeauty Online Now Jun 3, 2003 at 2:04 AM

To Gisela2003 It is your right to decide weather you'll travel in Slovenia or not, however, you DON'T have right to spread around false informations. Speak upon your own experience, not upon bla bla bla informations.

• KristaB's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Is it save from Ljubljana to Split

by KristaB Online Now Jun 3, 2003 at 2:25 AM

Gisela, you forgot to check the Amnesty International page for Austria. It is here: web.amnesty.org/report2003/A... Would you please post a link to Amnesty International page for Slovenia here, I couldn't find it on the list. Thank you, stay safe!

• scanos's Profile Photo

RE: Is it save from Ljubljana to Split and on to Bol?

by scanos Online Now Feb 17, 2006 at 10:09 AM

Hi
    I travelled by train from Ljubljana to Zagreb and found that turkish coffee was the only risk. I then took a cheap flight - Buddy Holly Airlines - to Split which whilst not overly friendly, is safe, certainly during the day. The ferry to Brac takes one hour but Bol is on the far side of the island and the service is less frequent. To ensure that I caught a ferry from Split to Ancona, I had to take an early morning white knuckle ride on a bus from Bol to Supetar.

regards
    is mise le meas

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines