Boise Travel Answers

change location

tell me about boise?

by casteins Online Now Aug 29, 2006 at 12:01 PM

We have been researching Boise as a place to relocate with our family and would like to hear about it from someone who has lived there for awhile. Is it a good place to raise kids? Are the schools good? How is the weather? Traffic? Shopping? etc. We are currently living in Las Vegas and aren't very impressed! We are originally from San Diego. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • pargolfer's Profile Photo

RE: Boise Idaho

by pargolfer Online Now Aug 29, 2006 at 12:38 PM

Hi,
    I have lived in Boise for 35 years. Although I have been blessed with the opportunity to see much of the world it is always good to be back home in Boise. The schools are OK depending on the area you choose to reside. Teachers are not paid the best wage in public schools but there are some awesome private schools also. Both my children attended private schools and are now in pre med schools. Are your children in elementary or high schools? Its a great place to raise kids and very safe for children. Lots of parks and outdoorsy stuff. The weather is superb. Although we are surrounded by the sawtooth and seven devil mountains Boise lies in a valley and gets only 4 to 10 inches of snow at any one time which is usually January. By mid February I am golfing again locally. There is Rafting, Fishing, skiing, hiking etc... within 30 minutes of Boise. The traffic is a challenge but certainly no worse than I5 or I8 (the one that goes by qualcomm stadium)in San Diego. Vegas is a bit better to get around in. My advice to you is to take a couple of days and fly in. I would be happy to give you a tour and introduce you to the area. I can even set you up in the Holiday Inn for less than40.00 per night. One of my closest friends is from San Diego and moved here with Walgreens 20 years ago. He loves it (but does miss Cardiff by the Sea, Torrey Pines and the Chargers). Hope this helps.
    Rich

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: tell me about boise?

by gbores Online Now Sep 21, 2006 at 3:36 PM

I've lived here most of my life except for times my career, school teacher/administrator, took me to neighboring states. Anyway, it is currently one of the fastes growing areas in the country. The Meridian School District, of which I was a part for many years, offers excellent educational opportunities. Unfortunately, it is also about the fastest growing district in the Northwest and the nation. Boise offers a nice blend of all four seasons with none too extreme. This, along with numerous other quality of life facets, is why people, especially from California, are flocking here in droves. Obviously, also a major factor is the huge difference if price in housing compared to California. We have friends who recently moved here from California, who like so many others, sold their home in California and paid cash for a home here with their profits which is a much nicer home than the one they had in California. There is a myriad of outdoor activities available. One can often ski part of the day and golf the other part during the spring. The 20 mile greenbelt along the Boise River is great. If you'd like more specifics, feel free to contact me.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines