Boise Travel Answers

change location
bocmaxima's Profile Photo

idaho trip stopping suggestions

by bocmaxima Online Now May 12, 2006 at 8:55 AM

Hi all and thanks for reading.
First off, this is mainly a question for those who do NOT live in Boise, as I think the answer from those who do would be "Yes!" out of hometown bias.
I have a pretty extensive trip planned where I'm driving with someone to Boulder, and then spending a few days driving alone through Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, into Utah, and then back to Arizona. I've never been to the former three.
It's a long trip, and I want to create that unique balance between not rushing too much and still seeing as much as possible.
I've heard mixed things about Boise. I would like to at least check it out, but it's not exactly on my route, and would be about a 4 hour detour west. So would it be worth the effort and time to go for it?
Also, I would be using the back route from Missoula to Boise via Salmon. Anything I shouldn't miss on the way? If I skip Boise, I would still use that route and head to Salt Lake.

Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • EllenH's Profile Photo

RE: idaho trip stopping suggestions

by EllenH Online Now May 12, 2006 at 12:40 PM

I have never been to Boise but I have heard it is a cool town. I live between Missoula and Salmon in Hamilton. When are you going to be around?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

RE: RE: idaho trip stopping suggestions

by bocmaxima Online Now May 14, 2006 at 6:22 PM

Probably Sunday, 14th. Based on what I've heard from asking people I know from the area, I'm probably going to skip Boise and spend time in Preston (since I'm a "Napoleon Dynamite" fan). I'd like to do Salmon/US 93 but may not have time.

• cottonwood's Profile Photo

RE: RE: idaho trip stopping suggestions

by cottonwood Online Now May 25, 2006 at 3:04 PM

I live in Sun Valley, Idaho south of Salomon on your way to Preston and Salt Lake City. Forget Boise if you have a short time to detour. It is a nice city, but at the same time is just another big city with a couple nice city parks, shopping mall and the Idaho Capitol building. Sun Valley is more along the way, beautiful mountain scenery between Salmon and Sun Valley. Sun Valley is easier to get a quick veiw of with it's big ski hill aka "Baldy" and its great restaurants and shops in Ketchum(the "downtown of Sun Valley").
    As for Preston, definitly fun to see for that movie connection. I did that myself last fall driving back up from Salt Lake City. Stop at the Chamber on main street to get your map of the movie spots and buy your cheesie tokens from the movie for X-mas/Birthday gifts. I spent75 on X-mas gifts myself. Fair warning thou, only one hotel in Preston and it's not exactly the best, better if you just do a drive by and stay in Salt Lake City.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines