Bogotá Travel Answers

change location

Bogota to Paipa

by infocus27 Online Now Dec 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM

I need to get a small group from Bogota to Paipa. They will be arriving at different times, some later in the evening. What are my options?

They could go from the airport to the city via taxi. Which taxi would be the best to take and where can I pick it up?
If they arrive late in the evening, should they stay at an aiport hotel?
How long does it take to get there?
There is a town near Paipa called Tunja, would it be worth staying there?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • MalenaN's Profile Photo

Re: Bogota to Paipa

by MalenaN Online Now Dec 31, 2009 at 12:11 AM

Tunja is situated about three hours from Bogota, and Paipa even further away. As your group arrives at different times it can be good to stay the first night in Bogota so you can travel on together the next day.
    Arriving at the airport in Bogota you will find an official taxi stand where you buy a ticket for the taxi.

Tunja is situated at an higher elevation than Bogota, at 2820 metres, so with this in mind it is also better to spend the first night in Bogotá.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Bogota to Paipa

by infocus27 Online Now Dec 31, 2009 at 5:56 AM

VERY helpful! I have to write up for the group ahead of time what taxi to take, where to go, etc. But having not been to Bogota yet myself, this is quite difficult! Can you reply with specific details (example: "take yellow taxi to x street and look for hotels there, it will cost you x"). Anything you can give will be of so much aid!

The big question is, what is the best way to get to Paipa from Bogota, I can see on viajaporcolombia.com that there are many different buses, but which one to take, and from where?

Once again, already you have been extremely helpful. Just looking for a little more and then I think we will be good.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

by MalenaN Online Now Jan 1, 2010 at 1:39 AM

In Bogotá it is nice to stay in Candelaria, the old part of town. I don’t know of your budget, but there are several budget hotels in that area. And for the ones in your group arriving early Candelaria is a great place to stroll around in while waiting for the rest.

I have never been to Paipa, but it is on the way to Sogamoso so I guess the Bogotá - Sogamoso bus stops there. The company Libertadores/Coflonorte has frequent buses between Bogotá and Sogamoso. You can see the timetable here:
    coflonorte.com/es/index.php?...
    Another option is to take the a bus to Tunja, and from Tunja buses are leaving for Paipa every 10 minutes.

If you have never been to Bogotá it is easier to take the bus from Terminal de Transporte. The buses pass Portal Norte later and many people take the buses from there to save some time.

by mcouhig Online Now Jan 8, 2010 at 12:58 PM

The airport is just on the edge of town, not far at all from downtown. And the taxis, which you'll hire at the airport, are cheap. I would certainly suggest you spend the night in Bogota the first night. You don't want to be traveling the roads at night. The drivers in Colombia are a smidge ... aggressive.

If you like, our company can provide a number of services for you. We can pick you up at the airport and deposit you at your hotel (though that process is fairly straightforward -- you walk to the taxi booth and pay for a ticket). And we can provide transportation the next day up to Paipa, and return you to Bogota when you're ready. We can also drop you at the airport, and walk you through the somewhat complicated process of checking in for an international flight.

If you provide me with a little information on what you're looking for, I can recommend a hotel. Bogota has everything from10 a night hostels to300 a night glamfests.

By the way, Tunja has a vast plaza but very little else. If you're interested in spending a night in a town other than Paipa (which is very cool, by the way), choose Villa de Leyva.

If you're interested in talking further, please drop me a line. You can find out more by visiting www.toursofcolombia.com
    Thanks,
    Graham Weldon

by TerryCat Online Now Jan 22, 2010 at 3:03 PM

You can get safe taxis from outside the arrivals terminal (turn right as you come out and go the office) alternatively lots of accommodation places offer an airport collection service - search for main hotels or furnished vacation apartments.
    Paipa will take around 4 hours from Bogota via Tunja. Tunja is a lovely provincial town once the head of the catholic hurch so lots of nice churches to see. Paipa is another 1.5 hours away and you can find all types of accommodation there either on the way out of the town to the public spa or nearer the spa but these are about double the price.

• mrmiata's Profile Photo

by mrmiata Online Now Feb 4, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Wow, a taxi sounds expensive! Take a bus, they are safe and a lot less. Tunja has a nice downtown, interesting churches, worth visiting.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines