Bocas del Toro Travel Answers

change location

Travel from Bocas to Puerto Viejo

by panamacosta Online Now Feb 20, 2007 at 12:48 PM

I have found a ton of info on how to get from Puerto to Bocas but none from Bocas to Puerto...

Can someone let me know from Bocas del Toro how to get to Puerto Viejo.
If bus times could be included that would be great. About how long is the trip? Cost (including boarder crossing for Americans)

I am trying to figure out what time we would need to leave to arrive at a decent hour in Puerto Viejo. I heard there was a time difference as well? so I need to take that into account.

Thanks so much!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • RE: Travel from Bocas to Puerto Viejo

by bocasjoe Online Now Mar 11, 2007 at 1:15 PM

I took this trip in December. Take the early marine taxi from Bocas Marine Tours, 7 am. The day before you leave Bocas call Papito in Changuinola, cell ph 65337763 (extra digit for Panama cell phone). Let him know what boat you are taking. He will meet you at the dock, take you and your bags/boards to the border, get you through customs/immigration in time to catch the early bus (9:00 or 9:30 Costa Rica time, 1 hour behind Panama) to Pueto Viejo (the San Jose bus, stops in Puerto Viejo). Only an hour or 2 trip. Papito knows everyone, very friendly, big guy (no one will mess with you). He only charged us25, a real deal for everything he did to expedite me, my wife and son crossing the border (like I said, he knows everyone). He even carried our large luggage across the bridge. I gave him an extra10. The bus ticket will be less than10 and it may cost5 to leave Panama, I can't remember for sure. Nice buses. Good luck. Have fun.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines