Block Island Travel Answers

change location

Looking for to sleep on a beach of Block Island

by brooklyner12 Online Now Jul 5, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Really, looking for a spot to sleep wildly on a beach into my sleeping bag, to enjoy a night under stars. Have I any chances to find such spot on Block Island ? Any camping site ?( not a hotel) . Does it has any not private land ? By the way, can I fish over there for free with my NY residency ?
carteocean@yahoo.com

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • gaolei's Profile Photo

Re: Looking for to sleep on a beach of Block Island

by gaolei Online Now Jul 5, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I don't think you can sleep on any RI beaches, but I never tried. I know that during the summer, the state parking lots are only open during the day. I can't find anything online that can answer this question.

The state legislators just overturned the govenor's veto of the fishing license bill. They can't balance a budget but they did manage to tax salt water fishing. So now we pay7 to fish on a resident license. This will surely increase over the years. I did find this on the state DEM site:

What if I am not a RI resident, but have a license from my home state or some other state, and plan to fish in RI waters?

RI will honor any license from any state that also honors RI licenses. Connecticut and New York licenses are reciprocal, and so they apply in RI waters.

Wow, they did something right!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gaolei's Profile Photo

Re: Looking for to sleep on a beach of Block Island

by gaolei Online Now Jul 5, 2010 at 7:38 PM

blockislandchamber.com/About...

Camping is only allowed by special permit. What you want to do may be considered camping, thus illegal. You will find RI police are very strict when it comes to beaches and tourists. They will always decide against you and let you work it out with the judge on Monday, after being a guest of the police for the weekend. Alcohol is strictly forbidden on RI state beaches, and the surest way to get to sleep in town facilities for the weekend.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines