Bled Travel Answers

change location
Riverview's Profile Photo

Question title

by Riverview Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM

What is the weather like in mid-April? We are seniors that will visit for three days. What can we do?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • wise23girl's Profile Photo

Re: Question title

by wise23girl Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Well we were there in June and you can see how we were dressed. Well Bled is the place to try the Cream Cake and our hotel The Park was said make the best... and you enjoy it either in the lounge of the hotel or in the cafe by the Lake.

We visited the castle in the middle of the lake and rang the wishing bell... Special row boats called 'pietnas 'take you to the church as no motors are allowed to pollute the purity of the lake.

You can walk around the lake..just beautiful.

We visited Golden Horn Goat found on the edge of Lake Bohini.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Riverview's Profile Photo

by Riverview Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM

What is Golden Horn Goat?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

by wise23girl Online Now Mar 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Just a little story that took my interest.. "Many stories are told and one such myth about love and greed and immortality surrounds the statue of the Golden Horn Goat found on the edge of Lake Bohini.

Now the Golden Horn gives its name to a beer made in Slovenia...not bad to drink either".

"sLOVEnia" - Slovenia by wise23girl

Every Slovenian girl wants to be married on the island I mentioned earlier... but there is a price to pay. Her intended has to carry her up the 99 steps so she must be slim and trim....the steps are steep.

And the wishing bell...well the problem is for the wish to be granted you must be pure of heart .

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Bled is lovely, although rather visitor-focused. You'll certainly want to visit Bled castle, to one side of the settlement centre and up a steep hill: it has stunning views as well as being interesting in its own right.

The island in the lake has a church. Walking the lakeside is very pleasant, and you can take a traditional pletna out to the island:

"Pletna" - Bled Things to Do Tip by leics

My Slovenian friends took me to Kavarna Park (on the lakeside) just outside the centre for 'the best' kremnitsa:

"Eat cake........." - Bled Things to Do Tip by leics

But with three whole days I'd suggest you take a daytrip to Ljubljana, Slovenia's tiny jewel of a capital city. There are regular buses (taking an hour) which arrive at Ljubljana's railway station...that's just 10 minutes' walk from the heart of the city. It's so tiny that you can see all it's historical centre in a few hours...and it's safe, friendly and full of good places to eat (including even more cakes!).

"Bijou capital city." - Ljubljana by leics

Bus timetable in English here:

http://www.ap-ljubljana.si/eng/

• picek's Profile Photo

by picek Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 12:51 AM

There is another beautiful lake not very far from Bled, it's Bohinj. If you like long walking, you can just go around it and spend a day there, plus visit Savica waterfall which few kilometers away from the lake.
    Closer to Bled, there is Vintgar gorge, lovely area also worth walking.
    If you have time go to visit Mojstrana's Alpine museum, their exhibitions are very good.
    http://www.planinskimuzej.si/?lang=en

If you have your own car you can see many things in those three days in the area but also without it you can get around pretty well (there are buses and taxis, you can rent a bike).

Among towns closer to Bled Radovljica is very pretty and small, Skofja loka too. See Apiculture museum in Radovljica, in my opinion it's one of most interesting and tells a lot about Slovenian culture since many people keep bees by us. Buying honey from mountain is good present.
    http://www.radolca.si/en/

April is still cold in mountains so I would bring warm jacket and good walking shoes if you plan to spend most time around.

• Re: Question title

by cilka Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 6:55 AM

As it was already said, April can be still cold although unpredictable. At the moment it's cold, there's still snow, in 2005 it was 26 degrees on 21 March. Bring warms clothes, a T-shirt and an umbrella as well. Enjoy your stay!

• Re: Question title

by mitmark Online Now Mar 30, 2013 at 4:50 AM

This year we have long winter and there is at some places still snow. You can see a lot of things in bled and surroundings what was already described (Island, castle, Vintgar, Radovljica). If you would like to see a lot of snow and enjoy in mountains you can also visit Bohinj and Vogel with cable car - but it is worth just in good weather.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Bled