Travel Answers

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Wales Trip

Wales Oct 26, 2015 at 4:35 AM

Hi.. I need help and suggestions on a few things. I'll be travelling with my wife and 3 kids (4yrs,2yrs & 1yrs). We be renting a car from Manchester Airport. We be in UK for 8 days and hope to have a wonderful scenery trip there. Someone told me Wales is a mix of both Cornwall & Scotland. The only downside is maybe I'll be travelling in early April where weather is either can be very good or bad. I was thinking of 2 base for accommodation (3 days each). One at the North and the 2nd near South but not sure which area is best to stay.

North Wales
      I read that Nant Ffrancon pass and llanberis pass via Capel Curig are both scenic route. Any other route that I can add on to it.

Places of Interest
      (1) Would love to hike up to Snowden but with kids I understand that it is impossible. Read that there is a train that went up but it depend on the weather. Any easy hiking trail route apart Snowden. I've heard about Yr Eifl but not sure hows the route there.
      (2) Like to try the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways (return trip). Not sure where to start and how long is the trip.
      (3) Like to explore Lyn Peninsula,Caernarfon,Anglesey etc. Any scenic route that I can pass. Any place where I can stop for cliff view pictures.

South Wales
      Drive via A70 route. Heard that route is quite scenic. Would love to stop by Hay-on-Wyes just to feel the books before moving off to my 2nd base. For South Wales I would like to discover more on Pembrokeshire (St Davids,Solva, Goodwick etc) area. More to the beaches, cliffs with views.

Place of Interest

Basically I am willing to drive any routes that is for picturesque views. Though I understand roads in UK can be congested during peak, I will try to keep it simple and just drive where I can or pass through. This is also not a finalize plan so I am open to suggestions.

Once I am done with Wales, I may travel up back to Birmingham for a day before heading up back to Manchester.

Thank you in advance.