Bitola Travel Answers

change location
DimaS22's Profile Photo

From Kopanki hut to Arvati

by DimaS22 Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Hi, I'm planning to hike from Kopanki to Prespa lake in may via Pilester peak, and have a couple of questions.

Is the pass quite straight forward (don,t wanna wander off to Greece).
Are there any places to stay in avrali or nearby. Private house ideal.
How easy it is to get from Prespa to Ohrid
Looking forward to Macedonia for the first time!!!!
Thank you in advance guys

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

Re: From Kopanki hut to Arvati

by MacedonianUK Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM

The trail is well posted roundel with red and white.
    Unfortunately Kopanki Mountain hut burned down 4 days ago.
    I personaly take the route via Golema Livada, just under Molika Hotel. Takes about 5 hrs to get to Golemo Ezero Hut and the glacial lakes there. You can stay the night. All the way down to Brajchino on the Prespa side of Pelister NP all is marked with roundels. You can stay in Brajchino in Home stay with breakfast for about E12 a night.
    From Brajchino you can catch Dupeni-Resen bus and in Resen change for Ohrid,

http://park-pelister.com/en/

Please let the ppl in the NP know, if you are entering the park by yourself, just for your safety.in case of emergency they will know how to help you.
    Here is map with directions
    park-pelister.com/en/plan-fo...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by MacedonianUK Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM

for staying in Brajcino look here
    brajcino.mk/smestuvanje/Defa...

you can call Bus station in Resen for timetables
    Information:
    phone: +389(0)47 451 756
    phone2: +389(0)47 451 506

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

by Pijlmans Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Hello,

The Kopanki mountain hut indeed burnt down a couple of days ago (see my post just below yours).

I have done the hike from Kopanki to Pelister and to the mountain hut at the Big Lake (Golem Ezero). You can find some info here: "Pelister National Park Hike Part 1 of 2" - FYR of Macedonia Travelogue by Pijlmans

There are several ways to approach the peak, one of them is via the ridge, you can have a look at it here (especially the "Fly tour as Google Earth Animation" option is really cool): gpsies.com/map.do;jsessionid...

I also have a GPS file for the other route, all the way from the -former- Kopanki mountain hut to Brajcino. If you are interested, you can send me a private message with your email address.

Make sure that you arrange for the mountain hut at Golem Ezero to be open before you go there. We once found it closed, even in the weekend.

See here for my information of Brajcino including accommodation: Brajcino - Brajcino, FYR of Macedonia

Another interesting hike that I recently found as a GPS file on the internet is from Kurbinovo to Slivnika near Lake Prespa, see here: gpsies.com/map.do;jsessionid...

The Slivnika monastery is a really nice one and I think you can even stay there. For information about Kurbinovo, Slivnica and most other cities in Macedonia you can visit my homepage: members.virtualtourist.com/p...

For other hiking-related information and ideas, have a look here: "Hiking in Macedonia" - FYR of Macedonia Travelogue by Pijlmans

Cheers,
    Dennis

• DimaS22's Profile Photo

by DimaS22 Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Thanks a lot guys! Great info. Shame that Kopanki hut is no more. I,m thinking of getting a taxi from Bitola to Molika hotel at 6am, and going up the peak and down to Prespa lake in 1 day. Do you think it,s doable?

by MacedonianUK Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Yes it is Double, but you will be well knacketed once you get on the other side.
    I suggest u stay the night atGolemo ezero Hut if you are not in a hurry.
    Very small is the percentage of beging the sunrise over Prespa lake from 2601m sealevel...
    Er: Taxi
    Ask Taxi to drop you Off at Golema livada, and from there start walking, is much gentle incline. From Kopanki, you an pick up the roundels/trails about 20m from Molika Hotel on your right, via Jorgov Kamen, and the Bulgarian hospital from WWI, is a bit steep and i suggest you go with a Group as in one Point you go over steep incline full of scree ( left by the glacier of old) and is very, very steep. I wouldnt suggest that one for somebody who doesnt know the mountain and is alone.
    I cant stress enough, that is very important to know the Pelister NP or the mountaineering club Pelister know you are on the mountain, specially if you are by yourself and foreigner. Just to be safe.
    We have very little acidents and ppl are safe, but from time to ime ppl do have acidents...

by Pijlmans Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 5:27 AM

The GPS file that I have for this hike is made for me by somebody from http://www.mkdmount.org/ and was drawn using Google Earth, so it was not actually walked. But this person is very trustworthy. I played around with the GPS files using the free program Garmin BaseCamp and this is what I get:

From Molika to Pelister Peak:

Via the ridge: about 5 km, 1000 m ascending

Via the easier road, I think this is the one MacedonianUK mentioned above: about 13km and 1000 m ascending.

From Pelister Peak to the mountain hut at the big lake (Golem Ezero) is about 6 km.

From the mountain hut to Brajcino seems to be 12-13 km.

So if you take the easy, shallow road you are facing over 30 km it seems. The steep road is 8 km shorter, if you don't mind the climbing.

I combined the GPS files that I have for this hike and uploaded them to GPSies, so you can have a look at the different options: gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=dbj...

by Pijlmans Online Now Feb 2, 2013 at 5:39 AM

BTW, if you zoom in a bit on the map on GPSies, you also see some more trails that you could take...

I agree with MacedonianUK, go well prepared and let people know where you are going. Since I have zero orientation skills I bought an outdoor GPS (a Garmin Dakota 20) several years ago, and it really makes life a lot easier...I just download the tracks that other people uploaded and don't have to worry anymore about getting lost (until the batteries die of course :-) And it is a lot of fun so see the walks again on Google Earth once you're at home...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Bitola