Bitola Travel Answers

change location

Travel from Dubrovnik

by gearedup2 Online Now Dec 17, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Would anyone know what travel is like from Dubrovnik to Bitoal? Is there train or bus service and how long would it take? Bitola is where my grandparents lived prior to 1913 and I would like to see it when I travel to Dubrovnik. Is this a difficult trip to make?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • petersnice's Profile Photo

Re: Travel from Dubrovnik

by petersnice Online Now Dec 18, 2010 at 1:05 AM

It's not very straight forward (there's at least two countries between Croatia and Macedonia), but it's sure possible to reach Bitola from Dubrovnik. There's some useful info here:
    visit-montenegro.com/transpo...

Your route is/was a part of the discussion at this thread:
    VT Forum temporarily unavailable

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Dec 18, 2010 at 3:44 AM

As #1 poster said there are few countries between CRO & MKD.
    Anyhow, easiest way is with Skopje reg bus, (only goes in summer months) to Skopje and than bus or train to Bitola.

Otherwise Libertas bus to Budva-Kotor-Cetinje and from there train to Nish ,change train to Skopje where you change again to train or bus to Bitola.
    If you are looking for info on your family in Bitola than best is to approach the Historical archive of City of Bitola situated on the corner of Bulevar 1vi Maj & Dimitar Vlahov St next door to the fire station.
    Full address:
    Bulevar 1 Maj 55
    7000, Bitola
    Macedonia

telephone:
    +389 (0)47 221 214

There are huge collection of documents from censuses carried by the Ottomans, French, Serbs...Much bigger collection of archive materials is collected in the Ottoman museum in Istanbul in the Top Kapi Palace compound.

Also if you have name of your grandparents, you can find info in the local churches. The Catedral church is St Dimitrija next to the Clock tower.
    Also the churches of St Nedela, St Bogorodica as the biggest.There are few smaller churches around town. All in all there are around 30 churches in Bitola, hence to old Turkish name for the City-MONASTIR

If you are of Jewish origins and you need to find the info of the Manastirli Jews living in Bitola (Monastir) than you will have to approach the Jewish Council of Bitola.

Unfortunately the Jewish quarter was destroyed during the Bulgarian occupation of the City in the WWII and the only thing left from the rich culture of the Monastirli Jews is the Cemetery and quite few grand houses in the City.
    The cemetery is located on the NE part of town, the road leading from Prilep.
    Not many traces are left of the Jewish life in Bitola, unfortunately. 30.000 Jews from Bitola were sent to the gas chambers of Treblinka in 1942, and what was left either join the Partisan movement or trough different channels ended up in Palestine and from there many left for Argentina & up state New York in US.

Here is Map of Bitola:
    visitbitola.info/index.php?o...

For other details on the town please check my Bitola page:
    "Bitola Baban BItola......" - Bitola by MacedonianUK

If you need more info on my home town please give me a shout.
    Welcome to Bitola!

MacedonianUK

• yumyum's Profile Photo

by yumyum Online Now Dec 18, 2010 at 1:06 PM

How about travel by bus from Dubrovnik to Podgorica and then by plane to Skopje (with Montenegro airlines - online booking possible) to cut the journey a bit shorter?!

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

by MacedonianUK Online Now Dec 18, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Forgot to mention, if you are planing to visit the Balkans next year (including Dubrovnik & Bitola)
    I have been given the privilege to organise the VT EuroMeeT in May next year in Bitola & Ohrid.
    You might like to join us for that and combine travel, family & pleasure...
    Check the VT Meet page for Macedonia
    "EuroMeet Bitola & Ohrid, May 27-30, 2011" - EuroMeet-MKD-2011's Profile
    Valentina

• alek's Profile Photo

by alek Online Now Dec 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM

i was searching just couple of days ago a way to go to dubrovnik so here is what i found..an option that nobody previously mentioned, but maybe if you wanna visit herceg novi too, it can be good option. otherwise, very unlikely option but anyway...:)

there is a daily bus from dubrovnik to herceg novi at 15:30. it says that the trip lasts for 1:15min to 1:30min. the problem is that the bus from herceg novi to skopje leaves at 17:00, so you cant be sure that you will catch it. and the other thing is that this line goes every second day, but there was no way finding out what days is that:) only idea was to write straight to the agency that runs this line at busbozur@t-com.me

again, very important thing is when are you planning to make the trip, since there are seasonal buses that run straight from herceg novi to ohrid and bitola.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Bitola