Bishop Travel Answers

change location
samtin's Profile Photo

camping and hiking near Bishop summer 2010

by samtin Online Now Jan 27, 2010 at 3:48 AM

We are going to be in the Bishop area for a few nights in early July (part of a hiking/camping road trip) and we are trying to identify a nice quiet and remote campground (must be able to drive to it in ordinary saloon car) in the mountains west of the town. Can anyone recommend a campground? I understand many campgrounds in the area don't take reservations so I am wondering what the chances are of turning up and just being about to get a pitch?

Lastly, any recommendations for good, long day-hike loops? We are experienced hikers,and fit and can hike up to 20 miles in a day but probably don't want to go for 14,000er summits due to hassle of organising permits ahead of time from UK.

thanks, Sam

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

Re: camping and hiking near Bishop summer 2010

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Jan 27, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Check the California state parks www site. They will take reservations at most sites 90 days in advance. I am not a hiker or camper so I can't help you with that, but I did work with a lot of state park rangers so I know a little about the state park system. The state park system has lots of little places scattered around where the National Park System does not.

Bishop in July can be very hot during the day and get very cold at night so judge accordingly.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines