Birmingham Travel Answers

change location

A place to host a party

by VAFields Online Now Nov 17, 2004 at 1:40 PM

Looking for a place to through an engagement party for my best friend from college. They'll probably be about 80 people there and it'll be in late March. Does anyone have any ideas? I want it to be somewhere that isn't too formal but has a "nicer" feel to it. I'm open to restaurants, bars, etc.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Tutor33's Profile Photo

Re: A place to host a party

by Tutor33 Online Now Nov 21, 2004 at 8:53 PM

Birmingham has several places you might want to check out. We just got married here, so I know of a few of them. One that immediately leaps to mind is a new place that's opened downtown called U. It's on 1st Ave. and 23rd Streets North. Their website is http://www.theu.us/ It's billed as an upscale martini bar. The decor and atmosphere are really nice, the crowds are usually rather thin. I'm more of a t-shirt and jeans guy, so it's not one of my hangouts, but it could be what you're looking for. If you're more of a jeans and t-shirt person, like me, check out the Metro Bistro Bar and Market. It's also downtown (I live in a downtown loft, can you tell?) and fairly new. Great atmosphere, music on the weekend and the owner is always there and super nice. 205-323-7995 You might also consider hotels. The Redmont downtown has a rooftop deck that can accomodate about 50, I think. The Tutwiler has a ballroom that can accomodate many more than that. If you want more of a private affair and don't mind hiring a caterer, The Birmingham Zoo offers a very cozy cottage-like venue. We used it for our wedding and reception in the fall and it was beautiful. birminghamzoo.com/events-ren... Restaurants abound here. We had our rehearsal dinner at Bottega, but it's on the dress-up/expensive side. Good food though. John Edwards ate there when he came to town recently. Surin West is a great Thai restaurant with wonderful service and plenty room to accomodate. I hope some of this helped. If you have questions about anything in particular, email me. I'll try to help.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

Re: A place to host a party

by Tutor33 Online Now Nov 21, 2004 at 8:55 PM

We just got married in Bham, so let me see what I can remember about places we checked out. The one that comes instantly to mind is U on 1st Ave. N. and 23rd Street North downtown. It's a fairly new place with great decor and atmosphere billing itself as an "upscale martini bar." I'm more of a t-shirt and jeans guy, so it's not a hangout of mine. Check it out at www.theu.us If you're more t-shirt than party gown, you might want to check out my favorite place downtown, Metro Bistro and Market. It's laid back with good service, nice atmosphere and a great owner. Could be snug for 80 people, though. 205-323-7995 Also downtown are The Redmont Hotel with a rooftop deck that accomodates about 50. And the Tutwiler has a ballroom that can handle many more. If you want more of a restaurant atmosphere, try Surin West. Great Thai restaurant in the entertainment district with plenty of room for your party. The Birmingham Zoo has a cozy lodge we rented for our reception. Not cheap, but very cool. birminghamzoo.com/events-ren... A new place in town is Ted's Garage. It's a car restoration shop that rents itself out for parties and such. You can mingle with your guests around some really cool automobiles. Also not cheap. At all. But very cool. www.tedsgarage.org This site might help you as well... bcvb.org/about-uniquefacilit... These are the ones I could come up with quickly. Good luck and lemme know if you need more or if you have questions about anything. I'll help as I can.

Re: Re: A place to host a party

by Tutor33 Online Now Nov 21, 2004 at 9:12 PM

sorry about the double posting. IE said the first one didn't go through. Whoops.

• RE: A place to host a party

by lbacchus Online Now Nov 29, 2006 at 1:07 PM

Vulcan Park is a great unique facility for any type of party or event! www.vulcanpark.org

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines